Chuffed!

matthooper
matthooper Posts: 39
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Really feel like i'm getting there after major knee surgery only 9 months ago. I can comfortably do 18 miles in about 55 mins (on a very hilly isle of wight route) without any pain in my knee.
My question now is, a lotof people on here talk about compact cassettes used with doubles. I have a Trek 1200T which I had to get for the inclines but everyone raves about compacts. Is it worth me changing my set up? Still quite new to road bike gear and would like someone to explain........[8D]

Comments

• if it works, leave it as it is.

No need to change is there?

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • ClaireV
    ClaireV Posts: 967
    If you find you can't keep up the cadence you want on the steeper hills then you could consider a compact. I put one on my Trek just under a year ago, and it made a huge difference to my climbing. If you're not having any trouble on the hills you ride though, why change?
  • You've got bad knees and live on the Isle of Wight - I say get a compact. Make the change before you get problems rather than waiting for them. It's just lower gears isn't it.
  • matthooper
    matthooper Posts: 39
    OK, so if I wanted to change my transmission to a compact setup, what should I get and with changing length of chain etc, is it easy to do yourself?

I think the general opinion is that a compact would be better for my knees.....
  • I've ridden loads on the IoW, and use a Campag Compact 48/34, suits the terrain very well. Can feel a little undergeared on downhills, 48x12 is the longest gear.

Alternatively, if you currently have a 39 inner front ring, increase the size of your largest two rear sprockets.