Annoying click

Tony666
Tony666 Posts: 274
edited June 2007 in Workshop
My bike has developed an annoying click and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what it might be.

I assume it's coming from the left crank or peddle as I can only hear it when the left peddle is under load and my foot passes a certain point; when it has travelled a quarter of the way round from the top i.e. if parallel to the ground. There doesn't seem to be anything visible that could be making the click. As it is only there when I am pushing hard on the peddle, it is impossible to replicate on the bike stand.

Thanks

Comments

• CraigUKcp
    CraigUKcp Posts: 1,209
    Tony tracking this sort of thing down can be a real nightmare, I had an annoying click a few weeks ago which took me an age to sort. In the end it was the frame joint between the rear dropouts and carbon rear stays.

For starters have you tried riding in and out of the saddle, is it there all the time? I've had headset clicks before which have clicked when pressing hard on the cranks, odd but true. Here is a list of a few places to look:

Peddles - bearings - grease joint to axle - cleats on shoes??

Cranks - tight on BB - chainring bolts tight - chainrings in good nick?

Saddle - Seatpost tight and lubricated - saddle well clamped

BB - Bearings sound - BB to frame interface good and lubricated?

Chain - well worn?

Frame - check for cracks or other play?

<b>My Bikes</b> Van Nicholas Quest Giant MTB

My Ebay
  • Markta
    Markta Posts: 767
    I'd also suggest having someone riding alongside you to have a listen. That sometimes helps.

Some noises that appear to be in the BB area turn out to be problems in the upper half of the bike

http://mrkta.myphotoalbum.com/albums.php
  • Tony666
    Thanks Craig - that'll give me something to do tomorrow afternoon! But no it isn't there all the time, only when I press down hard on the peddle. And when it does click it is always at the same point which made me think of peddles or bearings. But then I did adjust the gears last weekend and the saddle is an interesting point as I have just fitted a new one.

I might try that Markta as I am doing a sponsored ride tomorrow morning and see if I can find someone to oblige.

The only good thing about it is that it's good for counting caddence!
  • Tony666
    Here's another cause to add to the list. I was gently riding towards the registration point for a ride today and the clicking was worse than yesterday - although still quite rhythmic. I was beginning to have concerns about the ride as it was defiantly coming from the back wheels somewhere. Then it turned to a sort of rattling sound. I checked the wheels out and all seemed ok, then it dawned on. Being the law abiding citizen that I am, I had reflectors attached to the back wheel spokes. Took it off and problem solved! And guess what, it isn't going back on again [;)]