Descending style

nolf
nolf Posts: 1,287
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Hey all,

Started experimenting with some different styles of tucking in when going downhill fast.

Current fave is hands on the drops, resting my backside on the top tube with knees tucked in around the front forks crouched into an aerodynamic position- (An attempt to copy what some of the pro's do)

What positions do you use for descents?

Pride speaks, but Elephants listen...
"I hold it true, what'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost;
Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson

Comments

• Hands on the drops, arse on the saddle, elbows bent and tucked right in so that my chin's just above the stem.
  • pauluscp
    pauluscp Posts: 2,530
    <i>Originally posted by nolf</i>

Hey all,

Started experimenting with some different styles of tucking in when going downhill fast.

Current fave is hands on the drops, resting my backside on the top tube with knees tucked in around the front forks crouched into an aerodynamic position- (An attempt to copy what some of the pro's do)

What positions do you use for descents?

Prsonally i keep my rear end on the saddle with my hands on the drops. I have tried the sitting on the crossbar approach, but i found the postion uncomfortable and the bike unbalanced.

So many roads, so little time!!!
    So many roads, so little time!!!
  • I've tried this one, and as said, find the bike a little unstable.
    Click for Piccy
  • Banjo-man
    Banjo-man Posts: 45
    Hands in middle of bars with elbows tucked in, head down, grip x bar with knees. Fast and stable. [^]
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by powenb</i>

I've tried this one, and as said, find the bike a little unstable.
    Click for Piccy
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

can you actually pedal like that?
  • sibx
    sibx Posts: 102
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by powenb</i>

Click for Piccy

can you actually pedal like that?

The idea is that you adopt that position when you are at or above (or likely to reach) the speed where you'd simply spin the pedals out if you tried to pedal anyway.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Pedalling can actually slow you down as the difference in aerodynamics by pedalling is bigger tha the difference you make.

Only really applies for 35mph+

Pride speaks, but Elephants listen...
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    Damn i try similar to the pic and with good results.. but i think i might have to give the gettin down onto the bar thing a try... could get some seeerious speed... lmao

http://www.battlesnails.com/index.php?datastream=6
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674

Click for Piccy

doesn't that hurt your nuts[B)][:0]

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Buggi</i>

Click for Piccy

doesn't that hurt your nuts[B)][:0]

my epic adventure: www.action.org.u
    k/~Antonia

Depends if you run into a pot hole..

http://www.battlesnails.com/index.php?datastream=6
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i stay in the saddle, tuck right in, like banjjo and paulus.

the roads aren't straight enough where i ride to allow anything different.

the old pro-sat-on-the-toptube trick looks like it might impede cornering at 40mph.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • Asterixcp
    Asterixcp Posts: 6,251
    On the drops, elbows in, forward on the saddle. Pedal as long as possible (100 inch top, so before 80kph[:(])

On the twisty bits when I have stopped pedalling it seems to help if get most of my weight on the pedals and off the saddle and bars. Then it's easier to let the bike take its course, making sure I look where I want to go rather than where I'd much rather not! My bike has no tendency to shimmy.

There are some great descents in the Limousin[:X]

Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
    Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
  • I don't want to go any quicker. thanks [;)]

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    Hands on the drops, elbows in, head down near bars, & arse off the saddle, knees close to gripping the frame, in readiness for that 'special shimmy' moment.

Hot dang, it's the soggy bottom boys
  • miffedcp
    miffedcp Posts: 315
    hands on the hoods, sit up, try to let my legs keep up with my pedals, oh the joys of fixed.

Otherwise id do the nuts on the top tube job if its straight, smooth and quiet. If you get it right your actually balancing on the pedals rather than sitting on the top tube
  • 2191flint
    2191flint Posts: 803
    The late Great Marco Pantani used to hang off the back of the bike, with his crown jewells millimetres from the top of a very fast spinning thin piece of rubber (Ouch) his stomach tucked in over the top of the saddle.

Me, I just keep my pedals horizontal to the road, bring my knees into the top tube, and tuck in as much as possible down on the drops, works for me[8D]

A turkey is just for Christmas, not for life.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
    Signature free - with immediate effect.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/