Fulcrum Racing Zeros vs PlanetX Pro Carbon 50s

m@gnus
m@gnus Posts: 12
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Fulcrum Racing Zeros vs PlanetX Pro Carbon 50s:

does anyone have a view on which of these is better?

Looking for something that will be good up hills as well as on the flat.

Comments

• Where's jashburnham when you need him? [;)] (He has a pair of the Zeros that he enthuses about).

I think the Planet X 50s are pure race wheels and a pair are, I think, pretty light so would be fine on the hills and very fast on the flat. They are only available as tubs though I think.

The Zeros are light and pretty aerodynamic but probably not quite as aero as the Planet X wheels. I think they look like a great pair of all round wheels, i.e. you can use them for pretty much anything. I'm still not sure on the colour though. [:0]
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Well considering these are completely different wheels the question if whether you want a strong, light racing wheel which happens to come in blingin' red or you want a carbon wheel, again strong but in my mind some carbon wheels are prone to being affected by side winds and the like. They do look very nice and light though and I'm sure they are fine wheels.

The Planet X ones are available as clinchers or tubs apparently. If you said Fulcrum Zeros vs Ksyrium ESs for instance, then you have a more direct comparison.

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • m@gnus
    Thanks. I could probably be more specific. Ultimately I want some race wheels for mostly rolling/flat terrain, but first of all the wheels have got be be good enough for a considerable amount of climbing this summer.

Will the Planet X's be okay for ascending?
  • Phil Scp
    Phil Scp Posts: 2,525
    Yes
  • rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    For race wheels it's a no-brainer - Planet X. They won't be as versatile when it's raining hard or very windy but for the rest of the time they will out-ride the Fulcrums easily.
  • m@gnus
    Thanks guys. Planet Xs it is then.