dieting

Unknown
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
i currently weigh about 14 stone, i dont have alot of fat on my body just quite a big lad i reall want to drop about a stone or two. what is the best way to go about this i.e diet and excercise?
should i cut anything out of my diet? along with cycling should i do sit up and push ups and bits like that?

Scott Spark 30
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1273817/

Comments

• kel.s7
    kel.s7 Posts: 9
    Depends on what your diet is currently.

If you stick to a balanced diet then the exercise should be sufficient. Doing sit ups and press ups alongside cylcing would be great to help build all round fitness and help to tone areas.

P.S also try squats and squat thrusts you can look at www.shapefit.com for more ideas.

Good Luck.
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    It's pretty simple - eat a balanced diet, reduce things like biscuits and cakes and fatty food (not cut out completely - just reduce). Eat slightly smaller portions. Cut down the booze a bit (or a lot if you overdo it now). Do lots of exercise at moderate+ intensity.

Using this regime I got down to 11st7lb from 14st4lb over the winter. I'm 6ft 1in and it has to be said - I was a bit fat although it was quite well hidden.

I was doing 3h-4h of turbo trainer during the week (at maybe 85% MHR) and 60-75miles on Sunday with the cycling club plus whatever other long rides I could fit in.

Doing a bit of upper body exercise is a good idea, cycling does great things for your legs, but leaves your arms a bit weedy.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • Ferrino
    Ferrino Posts: 83
    I would also recommend incorporating some weight training into your regime - the extra muscle tissue burns more calories and upper body strength definitely helps me when hitting the hills!
  • I would add that you should take your time and don't even think about any of the fad crash diets. It's all about lifestyle changes by small adjustments. A bit more exercise and a bit less food. If that's doesn't work adjust some more. To be 12 stone you need to eat like a 12 stone person.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by logan1</i>

i currently weigh about 14 stone, i dont have alot of fat on my body just quite a big lad i reall want to drop about a stone or two. what is the best way to go about this i.e diet and excercise?
    should i cut anything out of my diet? along with cycling should i do sit up and push ups and bits like that?

Scott Spark 30
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1273817/
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I cycle 25 miles a day to work and back (when the weather's OK), and after being 14st, I'm now finding myself having to make a concious effort to eat more, to keep my weight up to 12st. Just cycle regulary, and don't scoff too much (until you need too)! Good luck mate.

"on your bike" Norman Tebbit.

"on your bike" Norman Tebbit.
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    na, stuff the "diet" if you're exercising, just eat a healthy balanced stuff, cutting out obviously bad stuff like cakes, crisps, chips etc but do have a few treats so you don't crave.

get yourself a heart monitor for two reasons
    1. you can train in your fat burning zone (some people don't believe in this zone but what the hell, i do)
    2. if you get a polar heart monitor you can upload the information into a diary on your pc and it really encourages you to go out and do some more exercise. only had mine for a few days and already i can't wait to go out and do some more so i can download it. also helps you keep a check on how much you are actually doing, rather than how much you think you are doing, and trust me there's a big difference. i have burned 1600 calories in each of my sessions i've recorded so far, so you can see why it encourages you, you will see from your cycling that you burn more than you think.

ps. remember, it's not what shape you are, it's what shape your in!

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • Krypton
    Krypton Posts: 466
    To lose the weight and keep it off, you need to change your eating habits.

Look at your current food choices and intake volume. Be honest with yourself too. It's soo easy to kid yourself that the extra biscuit, choc bar, pudding, bag of crisps, etc. doesn't count - it does and it's the reason you weight what you do.

I did this recently and cut out all my in-between-meals snacks, most of my puddings, and stopped eating after my tea on a night. The result has been amazing, 8lb off in just 3 weeks - and that is quite simply from cutting out the <i>extras</i> from my diet. In fact, I hadn't realised just how much I was eating! No additional excercise, no changes to rest of my food intake, just cutting out the extras.

Good luck with getting the weight off, and don't worry if it comes off slowly - at least it's coming off [:D]

--
    Stopped smoking, saved a fortune. Started cycling, spent it all! - PS, don't <b>CLICK THIS LINK!!</b>
    --
    Stopped smoking, saved a fortune. Started cycling, spent it all!