Presta valves...erm...help...

Bigtallfatbloke
Bigtallfatbloke Posts: 232
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
...sorry for the basic question chaps but I am confussed. I have presta valves on my tyres, and I have only ever known the other type. This long thin valve has a screw on it which I dont understand. Should it be tightened up or loosend during the ride? I tried pumping th ething up but simply managed to let air out...doh...[:I][:I]
Gravity sucks

Comments

• Cathryn
    Cathryn Posts: 176
    I have a presta valve and hate it. I THINK you have to tighten the little screw up once the tyre is inflated but hopefully someone more technical will reply as well.

I was recently given a little attachment which goes on a presta valve to turn it into a schraeder, and I found that VERY exciting! Might be worth getting one?
  • you undo the screw thingy to inflate the tyre (push it down a bit first to make sure it is working - you should hear a hiss as some air escapes, then when inflated screw it down (this makes sure te valve stays closed).

hope this helps

here's some useful info:-

http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/presta-schrader.html
  • 'I like it..simple and easy to remember'!....many thanks...I'm off to tighten them up now after my 35m ride yesterday with them not done up[:I][:D]
    Gravity sucks
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Just a small note......

The hole in the rim<i>tends</i> to be drilled for a specific valve. You can fit a Presta valved tube into a Schraeder (car type valve)with a spacer, but without drilling a larger hole (bike shop job)you cannot change a Presta tube to Schraeder.

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)