sore rear!! saddle info and advice

on2wheels
on2wheels Posts: 102
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
I am relatively new to cycling, just over 2 years, but love it even though I'm a bit of a fair weather cyclists, one problem I have though is saddle soreness.

Every time I do more than 10 miles I "feel" it. Tried a few different saddles, can't afford and can't justify buying another just to try out.

My father-in-law of 72 years rides every day up to 70 or so miles on a saddle with no gel and hardly any padding with no problem. I have persevered doing 20's and a couple of 30's but it is really uncomfortable during the last part of the ride and the day after.

I have researched on the web, about sit bones etc. I also read somewhere on the web that there are 2 widths of saddle, is this right, I am on the small side 5'6", what saddle widths are available? Am I missing something, is my bike not fitting me properly, I don't rock when pedalling, so I think my saddle height is ok, any advice would be greatly appreciated

PS I do wear padded shorts, that helped a bit!! [:D]

Comments

• Woody2
    Woody2 Posts: 32
    Specialized do different widths (three I think). Check their Body Geometry web site. Also, one of the Selle brands is doing a try before you buy deal with the shops. Take a saddle for œ20 and keep replacing it until you find one that suits. When you finally decide, the 20 notes go towards your purchase. Also suggest you try the super Selle San Marco range (for people with seat problems) on www.bicyclerubber.com Prices vary from œ19 to œ170 for all manner of materials.
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by on2wheels</i>

<font color="blue"><i>Tried a few different saddles, can't afford and can't justify buying another just to try out.</i></font id="blue">

<b><font color="black">Will your LBS not let you try before buying - mine did </font id="black"></b>

<font color="blue"><i>My father-in-law of 72 years rides every day up to 70 or so miles on a saddle with no gel and hardly any padding </i></font id="blue">

<b><font color="black">That is the best type of saddle - too soft and they can wrinkle and pinch - believe it or not!![/</font id="black">

PS <font color="blue"><i>I do wear padded shorts, that helped a bit!! </i></font id="blue">[:D]

<font color="black">Maybe even better shorts would help even more - but wouldn't substitute for getting the saddle and bike-fit right.</font id="black"></b><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Pete
    (Not reckless, just fast)
  • Tony666
    Tony666 Posts: 274
    I had the same problem. I had tried just about every adjustment I could think of - level, slightly tilted backwards, moved the saddle back and forward. I then bought the widest Specialized BG Avatar Gel Saddle and it did the trick. But then it is quite expensive if it doesn't solve your problem.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... l%20Saddle
  • KeithG
    KeithG Posts: 1,010
    There are a few non-saddle tips you can use.
    Riding out of the saddle for a short distance about 20 pedal strokes, every nile or so, helps. It gets the blood flowing around and you don't have to accelerate when you're doing this just pedal at a normal slightly slow speed but standing up.
    Check your saddle height is just right too, too low and you'll be putting more weight on your butt and less on your legs.
    Try and consciously move around the saddle a bit from front to back. Some saddles are too sticky to let this happen easily though.
    Are your tyres pumped up too high? Have you got a track pump with a gauge to try different pressures? Can you fit wider tyres?
    Do persevere however, I think everybody has this problem at first, I know I did and now do 300k audaxes without saddle soreness.
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by on2wheels</i>

I am relatively new to cycling, just over 2 years, but love it even though I'm a bit of a fair weather cyclists, one problem I have though is saddle soreness.

Every time I do more than 10 miles I "feel" it. Tried a few different saddles, can't afford and can't justify buying another just to try out.

My father-in-law of 72 years rides every day up to 70 or so miles on a saddle with no gel and hardly any padding with no problem. I have persevered doing 20's and a couple of 30's but it is really uncomfortable during the last part of the ride and the day after.

I have researched on the web, about sit bones etc. I also read somewhere on the web that there are 2 widths of saddle, is this right, I am on the small side 5'6", what saddle widths are available? Am I missing something, is my bike not fitting me properly, I don't rock when pedalling, so I think my saddle height is ok, any advice would be greatly appreciated

PS I do wear padded shorts, that helped a bit!! [:D]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    FWIW I use a Brooks B17 leather saddle. No padding, very little 'give' and find it to be supremely comfortable. It was comfortable from day one though I was aware of its presence for a couple of weeks until it moulded to my countours.

I don't wear padding, lycra or use any exotic unguents and make do with M & S best undies with a pair of cotton shorts from an outsize gents outfitters (4XL). Perhaps I have aenough natural padding but I regularly ride 100km and 200km Audaxes and do an anual 2 week tour with no comfort issues.

Have a look at the B17 thread to see if the arguments are persuasive enough for you.
  • DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    i spent ages and a fair few quid looking for a comfortable saddle for my hybrid and my road bike.

for the hybrid i came to the conclusion (far too late for my liking and pocket ) that the brookes B17 is the best you can get, or at least of the ones i tried.

For the road bike i got my sit bones measured at a specialized retailer and bought a 155mm (wide) alias saddle for about œ55. If i'd have bough the brookes first i might have tried another racier brooks for the road bike.

My advice (especially if you have a hybrid) is to get a B17 and some proofide (which protect the saddle as it becomes more comfortable).

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    My first road bike was remarkably uncomfortable.
    I too have just bought a Spez. gel saddle - Not ridden it long enough to pass comment, but changing from my Fizik has been painful!

Fizik Pave I found very comfortable - I changed because over 50 miles, I was getting mild numbness.

You could try a shorter stem, if you find that sliding back on the saddle makes it more comfy.
    As an interim, sliding the saddle forward could help your backside, however it could potentially cause knee/leg muscle pain!

Cyclefit in London seem to get good PR on this site, for setting up bikes. Sounds like, as has been suggested, it could be more of a general setup issue than specific to saddle.
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    my bum used to get bruised a lot until my LBS fitted me using a gel pad. they sat me on it for a minute with my feet up and when i got off there were 2 dents where my pelvic bones were. they measured the width across and a new saddle cost me œ17 quid. can't say i've had any problems since.

the pad was made by specialized so i'm presuming you need a specialized dealer.

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • hayesdj
    hayesdj Posts: 28
    has anyone tried a suspension seatpost on their racer?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I don't personally rate gel saddle cos the ones i have had have always hardened after a year or so. The most comfortable saddles are the ones which are shaped for my arse, cos all our arses are different anyway. Minimal padding is also good IMO.

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • nathanb74
    nathanb74 Posts: 270
    selle italia slr xp - like sitting in an comfy armchair

Previously Brisbane, Australia now East Sussex UK
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hayesdj</i>

has anyone tried a suspension seatpost on their racer?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

don't get one they're dire.
  • JWSurrey
    Carbon posts are supposed to offer some shock absorbing properties.
    The gel pad on a red backing made by Specialized was designed to work out which of the two sizes of Body Geometry saddle you would fit.
    Apparently you're supposed to sit on it with your heels raised up.

My Fizik Pave has only foam, and at the moment it's more comfy than the Spez. - Made some adjustments last night, so will let you know my verdict tomorrow - If I can still sit in front of the computer [:D]

Spez. do foam models, which are lighter and cheaper than the gel models.
    I'm not convinced about needing a gel saddle - I'll let you know how my experiment with a gel saddle works out!
  • on2wheels
    Thanks to all of you for taking the time replying, I have taken on board all suggestions, have copied and pasted your comments into a text file for later reference

This really is a very helpful forum, with really nice helpful people, even when lurking I've learnt so much, thanks again to all of you
  • JWSurrey
    Cheers on2 - Hope it's the start of many more posts - You'll soon find another "my backside is killing me" thread, and be able to recycle the advice!

Finished the Highclere event today - 80 miles on my new "road razor" with the Specialized Toupe Gel (143 size) saddle (Yep, I have a large sized backside [:I]) - I moved the saddle forward 1cm, and it's done the trick - Survived, although still not as comfortable as the Fizik - Just has the advantage of no numbness.
  • on2wheels
    With all the advice given, I tried a few things on Sunday morning. Heightened my seat an inch, got out of the saddle a bit more, moved around the saddle as well.

I actually did my longest ride of 43 miles so I was really chuffed. I didn't feel as sore as last week when I did a 30 miler so I am sure the advice given helped, so thanks to everyone