What have I got?

garyhs
garyhs Posts: 8
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Hi
1st post and hopefully not a stupid question

After blowing the cobwebs off my 12 year old Scott Peak, I have been commuting for 6 months and really enjoying getting back into cycling.I mentioned this to a work associate in Belgium who is into cycling and he has now given me a virtually unused Eddie Merkx Flyer.

I have never owned a road bike and have not seen the name mentioned among all the brands of bike dicussed, so I was just wondering how good a bike it is. I am not up on the technical components but most bits on it say campagnolo, except wheels which are Ambrosio Evolution.

It's taking a bit of getting used to but it has got me wanting to do some longer rides.

Also, is it the sort of bike you would use for commuting as 700x23 tyres do not look up to it, and I would not want to change them if it messes with the setup of the bike.

Thanks for any info, Gary

Comments

• fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    http://www.eddymerckx.be/

They make quite posh frames, the Flyer is the entry level alu one from a few years back, would be equivalent of the Gara now but with a different grade of aluminium. Components will be likely Mirage/ Veloce. Wheels no clue, tyres would probably need changing anyway if it's been sat unused for years, but 23mm is fine for commuting on roads. If you travel on towpaths and such you may want to look at something more comfortable and flat-resistant. Nothing wrong with the bike for commuting though, just use a rucksack for luggage.

----
    The summer bike | The fixie | The sensible one (TBA)
  • Aperitif 51
    Aperitif 51 Posts: 181
    http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/acatalog/info_AMBEVOWHEEL.html
    Hello Gary, I have Ambrosio wheels on my 'Veneto' - which is Altec2...it is probably of a similar vintage to yours.
    No problems - an ideal way to learn more, particularly as it was a gift! And has Eddy Merckx written upon it[8D]
    As fluff says, change the tyres and tubes AND, before doing so, read this forum for advice and particular brand of tyres (Continental 4000 hot chilli are warming the keyboards at the moment!).
    The contributors to this forum are enthusiastic and helpful - and when you discover a "tick tick tick" noise coming from your handlebars after 76.21km of riding, there will be someone to point out that your rear tyre valve needs a bit of tape around it![:)]
    Have a good ride
    m

103kg - kg361
    106kg - kg361 255characters have read this so far...I believe
  • garyhs
    garyhs Posts: 8
    seems good then, especially as it didn't cost anything. Will probably spend a fortune on decent kit now that I'm hooked.

And I think most of the noises after 76Km ride will be coming from me!
  • Aperitif 51
    Aperitif 51 Posts: 181
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by garyhs</i>

seems good then, especially as it didn't cost anything. Will probably spend a fortune on decent kit now that I'm hooked.

And I think most of the noises after 76Km ride will be coming from me!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Don't get 'them' started about kit[:0]

Assos or Rapha, DHB or BLT? Bib, short or too short? Tight or loose? Welcome to a whole new world Gary![:D]

103kg - kg361
    106kg - kg361 255characters have read this so far...I believe
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    i commute to work (17 miles each way) on this size slick tyre and it's cool, as long as your on the road. if you use tow paths you may need to change the tyres to something a little bit tougher.

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia