Using Drops

Aidocp
Aidocp Posts: 868
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Hi,

Has anyone got any advice on using drops, I'm new to this road bike thing, tonight was my second ride, all my previous bikes have/had drops. With my previous Hybrid the Sirrus I had to work hard to get a solo average speed of 16.1mph but with the Roadie it was much easier and I averaged 16.6mph for 33.5miles tonight (similar route, pretty flat, although there wasn't much wind). I was concious of the fact I could have used the drops more, it seemed to be more comfortable (safety wise) being on the hoods, gears and brakes, perhaps it a hybrid thing[:I]
Perhaps I could rotate the the bars towards me to get better reach in the dropped position?

If I had a baby elephant, who would take it for walks?

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Use what feels comfortable - I use the hoods most of the times these days, but achieve the same position as on the drops - it's just about relieving pain/stress in one position - something road bikes have over MTB's... the only one though ! [:p]
  • Big Tcp
    Big Tcp Posts: 163
    You'll find that even racers don't ride on the drops a lot of the time. Riding on the drops does make a difference to your speed, but not as much as you might think. When climbing hills, it's actually more efficient to ride on the tops. You should have your bars postioned so that the bottom part is parallel to the ground.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Bar bottom's parallel to the road - isn't right.

It's either a slight rise or a major one these days - I go with aligning the rise as a slight one, not parallel but I date my set up to Bernhard Hinault's bike set up guide ! Still a lot of sensible stuff in it that applies today, and it was the first major study to bike setup !
  • Big Tcp
    Big Tcp Posts: 163
    Depends on the shape of your bars I suppose, but my friend Simon Burney, who is British Cycling's Off-road competition manager and a former cyclo-cross professional, says that's the way that road bars should set up.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    Used to use drops on my brothers racer, but the drops on the OCR-1 just feel wrong (fingers cramp up in funny shape) so I just ride on the hoods)

<font size="1">
    Giant OCR-1 2005 | 2 x Cateye HL EL-500 | Cateye HL-EL400 | 2x Cateye TL-1000 | Lizard Skin chainstay protector | Cateye micro wireless computer | Laseredge Bikelights | Electron 5W+10W </font id="size1">
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • ballbag
    ballbag Posts: 9
    I use the drops very rarely and agree with fossyant, sometimes on long rides it is nice to be able to change position just to stretch your lower back a bit. They also help to keep your average speed up when cycling into a head wind.
  • pictit
    pictit Posts: 603
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fossyant</i>

Bar bottom's parallel to the road - isn't right.

It's either a slight rise or a major one these days - I go with aligning the rise as a slight one, not parallel but I date my set up to Bernhard Hinault's bike set up guide ! Still a lot of sensible stuff in it that applies today, and it was the first major study to bike setup !

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Without wishing to sound boring but I would assume one should set the bars,and drops of same,at whatever you find best for yourself.I have only very recently started using the drops 'regularly' after raising the stem [adjustable stem] and rotating the hoods/bars back towards me a bit which indeed leaves the drop part rising forward off the parallel[:)].I remember watching TDF[2004?] and noticed on quite a few bikes,on the mountain stages,the hoods seemed 'high' and saddle to bar drop of many riders seemed less than on flat stages so I guess it is down to the individual rider and the riding they plan to do!.
  • Very few people seem to use the dropped bit much if at all. Not sure why anyone (except pro racers and trackies) has drop bars. Braking and shifting equipment and its ease of use is much better with flats. As for varying positions, a set of bar ends provides those.

d.j.
    "Like a true nature's child,
    We were born,
    Born to drink mild"
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    In answer to your question - I rarely use the drops - I don't feel as secure, and stangely, feel I cannot get to the brakes as fast as I can when on the hoods. It also feels less stable on the drops.
    I generally only use the drops in strong headwinds.

I got back in to road biking this year.
    My 20 year old bike has a set of traditional bars, where the drops are flat with the road - It was not a terribly comfortable ride!

My Campag. road bike has the hoods flat, the bar tops flat merging in to the hoods, and the base (an anatomic bar) set at about 30 degrees off the horiz. These are really comfortable - although the cork tape helps a lot.

My Shimano road bike has the drops slightly inclined from the horiz. too (more of a race bar than a touring bar but also anatomic design).
    The big difference, and I have noticed this with a lot of Shimano set-ups, is that the hoods, rather than being near horizontal, are inclined quite steeply - I'd say 40 degrees off the horizontal.
    This bike has slightly more reach, and is just as comfortable.
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davej</i>

Very few people seem to use the dropped bit much if at all. Not sure why anyone (except pro racers and trackies) has drop bars. Braking and shifting equipment and its ease of use is much better with flats. As for varying positions, a set of bar ends provides those.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I used to think that too, but have changed my opinion as I've trained more and got used to riding harder. Yes, I agree brake/shift access is better on the hoods, but drops is a good position too for digging in and making progress.

My race bike has a high-ish head tube which means the drops aren't as far down as on some bikes, but that is pretty common now on "sportif"-style bikes so I would think that the drops are even more useful these days.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • The bars can be parallel to either the road your the top tube of the bike. Whatever you find easier. Should be comfortable if your position is set up correctly. It makes a huge difference, I find a 30 W saving from riding on the drops which over a 3 - 4 hr ride means a lot of saved energy. Experiment and find the position that works for you.

"People setting the pace too fast on the front are abused to slow down. Riders that do not share the work are abused. Riders that need abuse get abused and the abuse is done in every language so they get the message"
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Most riders use drops very rarely but when you do need them they really help. One major benefit is that they lower your centre of gravity for more stability on a long, steep descent.
    When riding into a headwind, drops can reduce your frontal area for lower resistance but you can achieve the same redution by moving your hands close together. You can grasp the bars close to the stem or add a small clip on extension such as Cinelli Spinnaccis
  • jpembrokecp
    jpembrokecp Posts: 1,968
    I only ever use drops when descending or when sprinting. I spend 80% of the time on the top/hoods. It's more comfortable for me.

well, yes <i>and</i> no......but mainly no.

• currieinahurry
    currieinahurry Posts: 2,695
    i definatley use the drop when descending sprinting but also when trying to really push it on the flats as you can stay out of the wind better. just takes time to get used too.
    tikka

hi my name is adam... and i have a problem with posting on cycling forums.
    hi my name is adam... and i have a problem with posting on cycling forums.
  • jpembrokecp
    jpembrokecp Posts: 1,968
    I have a mate who just won't use the drops, even on descents. Watching him come down steep Cotswold hills, gripping on to those hoods, going slower than he does on on the flat, is just painful. I try to tell him but it's no use - there he goes, down a 1 in 5 with his weight shifted over the front wheel, white knuckles and a look of fear on his face as he pulls continuously on the levers. Poor bugg*r!

Descending on the drops is far safer in my opinion. Your weight is further back, your centre of gravity is lower (I think), and most importantly you can brake more efficiently. You can't get the same leverage on the brakes from the hoods. Descending on the hoods is a double whammy of danger: your weight is shifted further forward over the wheel meaning that you have to brake harder but you can't brake harder because you can't get the leverage so you grip harder, further compromising your control of the bike. Look at the position a skier adopts when descending at speed. It's low and tucked. That's what you need on the bike. Feels way better.

Learn to use the drops. It improves your rides no end.

• Asterixcp
    Asterixcp Posts: 6,251
    It surprises me that people don't use the drops more as I use them quite a bit. The worn bar tape confirms it!

Mine are not set as low as some racers - only an inch or so below the saddle and they are the shallower 3T type. Even so, I feel I get more power when using them, especially on hills and into headwinds. When cornering fast I like to get my weight down and forward and find the drops help to do that; also I get down on them when approaching a hazard since it is easier to use the brake levers sensitively and yet powerfully if need be.

It feels very strange riding a bike without drops IMO and as the previous poster says it's probably just getting used to using 'em.

Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
    Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..