Do i get a road bike?

warren7
warren7 Posts: 16
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
I bought a cheap mountain bike (œ60 from woolworths) a few months ago simply to get me doin some exercise, but ive enjoyed it more than i expected. My bike is doin ok (ive put some slick tyres on too)but im thinking of getting a road bike and cycling more seriously. Ive not got a massive budget of œ300 ish. Ive found the Giant ocr 4 for œ250? But im not even sure if i need a new bike? Would a road bike make cycling any faster/easier? Also im 6ft what frame size would be best? Thanks for your help![:)]

Comments

• vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by warren7</i>

I bought a cheap mountain bike (‹¨«60 from woolworths) a few months ago simply to get me doin some exercise, but ive enjoyed it more than i expected. My bike is doin ok (ive put some slick tyres on too)but im thinking of getting a road bike and cycling more seriously. Ive not got a massive budget of ‹¨«300 ish. Ive found the Giant ocr 4 for ‹¨«250? But im not even sure if i need a new bike? Would a road bike make cycling any faster/easier? Also im 6ft what frame size would be best? Thanks for your help![:)]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

An old standard for determining frame size was to subtract 10" from your inside leg measurement so and inseide leg measurement of 33" would lead to a 23" frame and so on...

With the compact frame geometry things become a tad mor complex with virtual fram sizes i.e. what size a compact frame is the equavalent of it it was a standard frame.

FWIW I have 21 and 23" framed bikes and both are eminently rideable and comfortable. The 23" framed bike has the seat stem extended more than the others.
  • my (very road-biased) advice is, don't upgrade a œ60 mountain bike, buy a proper road bike. Go for the best frame you can get, wheels and components can be upgraded later as budget allows. Take your time to get comfortable on the bike and enjoy the directness, involvement and intimacy(!) of the roadie experience. For œ300 I would consider buying second hand, eBay or Cycling Weekly classifieds etc.
  • cooper.michael1
    cooper.michael1 Posts: 1,787
    Maybe second hand would be better, but seriously if you are enjoying a œ60 bike then the Giant would feel fantastic to you.

Think about if you want a road bike (drop handle bars) or a road hybrid, which are usually a bit beter value for money....it really depends on what type of riding you want to do??

Coops
  • warren7
    warren7 Posts: 16
    <i>Originally posted by cooper.michael1</i>

Maybe second hand would be better, but seriously if you are enjoying a œ60 bike then the Giant would feel fantastic to you.

Thanks never thought of that because dont know what a decent bike is like because never ridden one.
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    Im on a hybrid at the moment, tried a road bike and it felt far better to me. If tarmac is all you cycle on then the road bike is the way to go in my opinion.
  • elvisparsley
    elvisparsley Posts: 135
    A road bike will be much faster than your current bike. I upgraded from something similar to a road bike with flat handlebars which is very quick but almost immediately wished I'd gone for proper road bike. Now I'm going for a Giant road bike too. If you have slick tyres on your mountain bike it suggests you ride mostly on roads? Go into a bike shop and ask them about frame sizes- you don't have to buy from them but they should show you anyway.
  • splattcp
    splattcp Posts: 27
    I thought the same being a MTB'er....I thought for a long time and decided to buy a road bike to see what I thought!
    Thoroughly enjoy both now, training on one compliments the other!
    If you dont try you wont ever know.
    There are loads of threads on here about frame sizing, and loads of web info too,
    Go for it!
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    My first proper road bike felt like a super fast, twitchy steering thing, until I got used to it.

I went from a 'normal' œ120 road bike (20 years ago) to a Raleigh Road Ace - 531 and Shimano 600 (Ultegra) - really loved the bike and got it for about œ400, which was a bargain at the time).

If you have a Decathlon near you they will have a few road bikes to look at, but best go to a local bike shop. œ300 will buy you a much nicer bike than a œ60 one.

To be honest, I've always said to many people who ask me how much my bike costs, is that it doesn't look much different to a œ300 one, other than the bits are far more expensive and are better finished - to a layman, they are the same !
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    I took the plunge and got a road bike, my other/ previous bikes had all been Hybrids, I'm glad I did. When you move from a cheap heavy mtb to a road bike, you'll really feel it.

If I had a baby elephant, who would take it for walks?
  • DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went through a similar situation to you about 9 months ago. bought a hybrid to get some exercise and occasionally commute and i absolutely loved it.

FFWD a few months and i ask the missus if i can buy a continental revolution for œ275 in the January sales. Wasn't sure it was the right thing to do at the time, but i am sure it was now. It's one of the best things i've ever done.

Take today for example...A full day at work, dinner, trip to supermarket, baking with son (he likes it) and then kids to bed at 8. At 815 i'm out on the road bike tearing down country lanes and having a great time . Only just got back at 9.45.

If you're anything like me then buy the bike and enjoy.

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by warren7</i>

I bought a cheap mountain bike (œ60 from woolworths) a few months ago simply to get me doin some exercise, but ive enjoyed it more than i expected. My bike is doin ok (ive put some slick tyres on too)but im thinking of getting a road bike and cycling more seriously. Ive not got a massive budget of œ300 ish. Ive found the Giant ocr 4 for œ250? But im not even sure if i need a new bike? Would a road bike make cycling any faster/easier? Also im 6ft what frame size would be best? Thanks for your help![:)]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

About 6 years ago my wife bought me a Raleigh MTB for a present, to get me to do more exercise and de-stress. I got the bug and two years later bought a hybrid to go touring etc. This year wife got me a Giant SCR 2 for birthday and it is great. I still use Raleigh to commute and hybrid for cycle paths and semi-rough but the Giant is great on road. I'm a lot faster and it's a lot more fun - so I do more miles.

Look on Tredz web-site for Giant SCR sizing chart.

I'd go for it.

I say go for the OCR4. I've got one and I can't fault it, except that the wheels that came with it weren't up to much. You'll fit on a medium (just) but I would go for the large. I'm the same height as you and bought a medium but wish i'd bought a large. I have so much seatpin sticking out that i'm right on the limit on a 350mm pin. I snapped the original one and bought a 400mm to replace it.