Chris Boardman

heathrow86
heathrow86 Posts: 228
edited June 2007 in Pro race
I read today that Chris Boardman is to design bikes for Halfords ranging from about œ400-œ1000 anyone else know more?

Comments

• PETE Tcp
    PETE Tcp Posts: 498
    Yep,

My company holds quite a few shares in Bikehut.

The chief exe from Halfords is coming in next for a meeting.

I will try and get a bike off him!![:D]

Cheers

Pete

PETE T
    PETE
  • Cheshire_Cat
    Cheshire_Cat Posts: 464
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by heathrow86</i>

I read today that Chris Boardman is to design bikes for Halfords ranging from about œ400-œ1000 anyone else know more?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I've heard they're quite good for TTs but disappointing in the mountains [:o)] - sorry, couldn't resist!
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cheshire_Cat</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by heathrow86</i>

I've heard they're quite good for TTs but disappointing in the mountains [:o)] - sorry, couldn't resist!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Oh,I dunno...His ride in the Dauphine to vaujanay (sic) when he matched Indurain & Virenque was something to behold

so many cols,so little time!
    so many cols,so little time!
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861

Hi there.

Is it just me who would be kinda disappointed to see Chris's name on the side of a œ400 bike, or am I just being elitist?

Cheers, Andy

http://www.stirlingtri.co.uk
  • method
    method Posts: 784
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andrewgturnbull</i>

Hi there.

Is it just me who would be kinda disappointed to see Chris's name on the side of a œ400 bike, or am I just being elitist?

Cheers, Andy

http://www.stirlingtri.co.uk

No its not just you, I was a bit dissapointed to see Halfords and Boardman linked as well.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I'd be disappointed to see Chris Boardmans name on the side of my bike - period. A very good bike rider but he just didn't connect with me at all!!!

I have no experience of Halfords bikes but I doubt the addition of Chris Boardmans name will make them any better. This venture looks like no more than a marketing hype partnership between Halfords and Boardman. He will simply be lending his name to the bikes and accessories which Halfords will sell under licence to try and increase their market share. The bikes look to be priced for the mass market, and if not quite a con job, its certainly an act of illusion.

This is my bike:
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure001.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure002.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure003.jpg
  • Jesus wept, there is some elitist sh*te being sprouted on this thread. Why on earth is it a "con job"?

It's not exactly news is it - well known cyclist in branding bikes shocker. Good luck to him and Halfords and I hope the association of Britain's best known cyclist with Halfords will lead to more and more bikes being sold.
  • vermootencp
    vermootencp Posts: 1,298
    Did I read somewhere that Robert Millar's new range of bikes is being distributed by Argos? Or was it Matalan, my memory's gone to sh*t these days.

Yep pure elitism, but where does it say that elitism is all bad? Anyhoo I'm sure Nicole Cooke's not terribly concerned about having the name of Raleigh on her jersey, money is money.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <font size="1">"I'll do what I can to help y'all. But the game's out there, and it's play or get played. That simple."
    </font id="size1">
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    <font>"I\'ll do what I can to help y\'all. But the game\'s out there, and it\'s play or get played. That simple."
    </font>
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andyp</i>

Jesus wept, there is some elitist sh*te being sprouted on this thread. Why on earth is it a "con job"?

It's not exactly news is it - well known cyclist in branding bikes shocker. Good luck to him and Halfords and I hope the association of Britain's best known cyclist with Halfords will lead to more and more bikes being sold.

I'm not sure what you mean by term 'elitist sh*te'. Please enlighten us all.

Re. 'con job', I'm cynical of any sporting hero type endorsements - they are often a case of marketing hype over substance. Maybe Boardman will be different but I still wouldn't want his name on my bike for the reason I didn't particularly like him. Nothing to do with elitism.

This is my bike:
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure001.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure002.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure003.jpg
  • Biffcp
    Biffcp Posts: 813
    Boardman is one of the few cyclists that Joe Public may recognize, so if one non-cyclist buys a bike from Halfords because its got Boardman's name on it that's one more on the list, and I'm happy.

<i>Rarer than a one-liner by Howard Peel</i>

<i>Rarer than a one-liner by Howard Peel</i>
  • scm
    scm Posts: 5,505
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vermooten</i>
    Anyhoo I'm sure Nicole Cooke's not terribly concerned about having the name of Raleigh on her jersey, money is money.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    But Raleigh isn't Halfords, is it?[xx(]

--
    It is better to have loved a short person, than never to have loved a tall.
    --
    It is better to have loved a short person, than never to have loved a tall.
  • method
    method Posts: 784
    not made by Raleigh either
  • mandie
    mandie Posts: 218
    Question by someone to Sean Kelly;
    "Whats the best make of bike Sean?"
    "What ever one I'm being paid to ride at the moment"

We'll kick against the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight
    We\'ll kick against the darkness \'till it bleeds daylight
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If anyones read the comic this week he's talking about this. Apparently he wanted the bottom end bike to be good enough to go out and race on, and he's really looked out for decent spec.

Anything that gets people to buy bikes is good by my reckoning, and if he's true to his word and I think he is - they should be decent bikes. A lot of people enter tris with their œ500 or so bikes and are quite happy with them. I do think the standard of bikes has come along over the last few years.
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    Judging by some of those press pics there's at least one that looks to be specced with a ritchey finishing kit and ultegra groupset on an alu frame with carbon rear triangle looking not disimilar to something like the Condor Squadra. I'd imagine that would be towards the mid to upper end of the range but as an indicator of the quality I'd say not bad at all.

http://www.atomicecho.com/cycling/index.shtml - My cycling blog. From commuting to crits and sportives.
  • I have a cycle2work voucher that I have to spend in Halfords, and I'd been planning to getthem to order in a Specialized. Didn't really see myself astride an Apollo! But I was in Halfords today, and the young guy I was speaking to had yesterday been to the Boardman bike launch at Centreparcs. He was hugely enthusiastic about the range and, to be honest, the enthusiasm was catching. (It was, incidentally, really nice to have someone, somewhere, in a shop in Bristol, get excited about a product). He showed me the new leaflets, photos and the new specs for each of the bikes...and surprise, surprise, they look really good news. They ought to be in selected Halfords in a week or two, and you can be assured that they're going to keep these new bikes well away from some of the others rubbish in the shop.
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by leguape</i>

Judging by some of those press pics there's at least one that looks to be specced with a ritchey finishing kit and ultegra groupset on an alu frame with carbon rear triangle looking not disimilar to something like the Condor Squadra. I'd imagine that would be towards the mid to upper end of the range but as an indicator of the quality I'd say not bad at all.

http://www.atomicecho.com/cycling/index.shtml - My cycling blog. From commuting to crits and sportives.

Yep, that Race Pro looks good - if I were in the market for a new bike I would give it a very close look once it arrived in my local store. However, it has to be said that that œ1400 buys a lot of bike from established brands these days.

Pete
    (Not reckless, just fast)
  • K Blackwell
    K Blackwell Posts: 1,539
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Top_Bhoy</i>

I'd be disappointed to see Chris Boardmans name on the side of my bike - period. A very good bike rider but he just didn't connect with me at all!!!

I have no experience of Halfords bikes but I doubt the addition of Chris Boardmans name will make them any better. This venture looks like no more than a marketing hype partnership between Halfords and Boardman. He will simply be lending his name to the bikes and accessories which Halfords will sell under licence to try and increase their market share. The bikes look to be priced for the mass market, and if not quite a con job, its certainly an act of illusion.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Agree on all counts. Would seem nice guy, but dull. Just seems like another marketing ploy, but at least we'll be spared - I assume - of a Procycling test on these bikes, or at least I hope so.
  • triman36
    triman36 Posts: 1
    I have see the Chris boardman range in a Halfords in Hereford last weekend & I must say that I was impressed with the quality & range of bikes & products & they seem to be well priced, so I would say they are at least worth a good look if your in the market for a new bike

Like a lot, Love a few, but always paddle your own canoe
    Like a lot, Love a few, but always paddle your own canoe
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    they look comparable to the trek, giant or specialized in that price bracket.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2vx78q
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv