Flat bar bike

wine9555
wine9555 Posts: 97
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I have a chance to get a used trek 1000 frame in good shape and was wondering if I could build it into a flat bar bike for my wife,she prefers that type of ride.

Comments

• maddog_2cp
    maddog_2cp Posts: 73
    sure.

I'll write some more when I've time

<font size="1"><font color="purple">
    Drop bars are a historical accident...... discuss</font id="purple"></font id="size1">
    Drop bars are a historical accident...... discuss
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    Yus.

You need specific components for flat bars on a road bike -you'll need brake levers that can work the brakes, and specific changers.

Like these shifters (cheapest I could find when I did mine)

and these (50% off at the mo)

You should be able to get away with a regular front mech.

The Shimano site lists all of their R440 gear.

• maddog_2cp
    if you go for a double chainset then you can get away with standard mtb shifters (XT, LX etc.)

however, if you go triple then you must use the R440 shifters, available in 8 and 9spd. There are also 10spd versions available - see the Shimano website.

As for brakes, you just need levers which are for cantilever brakes, not V-brakes. I realise you'll be running dual pivots but the cable-pull for DPs is the same as for cantis. Another option is to use Avid SD levers with adjustable modulation e.g. SD5 on their softest setting.

If you run a non-OS flat bar then you'll need a mtb stem (25.4mm) rather than a road stem (26.0). If you run an OS bar (31.8) then you can run any stem you want.

Other than that it's the same as a standard road bike.

Tips:

- run the bars quite narrow. This will suit a woman as they (usually) aren't as broad as men and standard mtb bars are a bit too wide for road work. Something around 50-52cm will be fine.

- run bar ends. They give you at least two extra hand positions for very little weight gain. I use profile ones with lizard skin covers.

Drop bars are a historical accident...... discuss</font id="purple"></font id="size1">
  • maddog_2cp
    oh, and consider using some Ergon grips. Super comfy.