Re-using spokes/rims - replacing hubs

shockedsoshocked
shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Is it possible to take a hub out and re-use the spokes? My dad has an old rear wheel (dura ace hubs, mavic rims, nice spokes, very light) but the freehub seems to have gone kaput (and the specific type of hub was only made in 1989 and no one has tools to fix it anymore [:(])

I ask because he also has the matching front wheel, and it would be a shame to waste these wheels.

PTP Runner Up 2015

Comments

• alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    I've done it to a couple of old wheels (partly as a way or learning how to build wheels). But if you do, and spokes start to go after the rebuild, then you have to bite the bullet and buy new spokes and re-build the thing again.

If you are replacing a dura ace hub then the cost of some decent double butted spokes is not much extra though - you'd get peace of mind and a nice light set of wheels.

Cyclist, public transport passenger, pedestrian, driver, motorcyclist.
    I get on OK with myself, so why can't we all get on with each other?
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    As Alan said, plus your new hub will need to have the spoke holes radius exactly the same as the hub you replace or the spokes won't be the correct length.*

* exact means within 2mm for a home built wheel, usually.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I'm only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    Re-using old serviceable hubs and rims is OK but, as Alan said, get new spokes. The old spokes have been under tension for some time so you would be releasing the tension as you remove them from the old rim and placing different tensions on them in your rebuild.

http://bangkokhippo.blogspot.com/

Ex-XXL weigh-in 9/10 June: Update published: Monday 11 June