How does a frame wear out?

Johnpsanderson
Johnpsanderson Posts: 380
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Possibly a silly question but I'm relatively new to cycling (4 years now) and have only just worn out my first 'proper' bike, a Trek 1000. It's about to be resurrected as a TT bike (lengthy thread in existence).

So far it has eaten a couple of cassettes, chains and cranksets. I'm on my second set of wheels, which are now near deaths door. I'm also on my second bottom bracket and headset.

So - will the frame itself go on forever, or will it 'wear-out'. If so - how?

It's ALL about the bike.
Put me back on my bike...

t' blog: http://meandthemountain.wordpress.com/

Comments

• Nothing on the frame will wear out. It's eventual demise would be caused if it were to break.

Nobody ever got laid because they were using Shimano
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    Non alloy frames wear out and need replacing in two specific ways...the paint job falls from favour and the logo does the same.[:)]

I'd rather walk than use Shimano.

The older I get, the better my power to weight ratio was.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Frames also need replacing when you can't get new components to fit them, or at least not in any quality/choice.
    For example, if you were currently in the market for a quality frame to "see you out", you would be ill-advised to go for one with a 1" threaded headset and quill stem.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Only ever outlived one frame so far - chain came off and got stuck between chainstay and chianset. Took a chunk out of the chainstay which later cracked right around the chainstay! Shame - would have made a great fixed wheel project.

Cyclist, public transport passenger, pedestrian, driver, motorcyclist.
    I get on OK with myself, so why can't we all get on with each other?
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    a little bit at a time?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I'm only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption