Don't Worry About 'Average' Speeds.

PhilofCas
PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
I've just copied this (and slightly tweaked it) from my recent reply down in training, topic "Increasing average speed":

"A fairly typical ride:

Push bike out of garage, "bike computer clock ticking away, average speed suffering big time".

Set off down the road, steady, to junction at bottom, "bike computer clock ticking away, average speed suffering".
Ride along to next junction, over speed bumps, still warming up, "bike computer clock ticking away, average speed suffering".

Slow up at junction, "bike computer clock ticking away, average speed suffering big time".

Set off from junction, towards roundabout, slow for roundabout, "bike computer clock ticking away, average speed suffering".

Travel towards another roundabout, slow a bit for traffic, "bike computer clock ticking away, average speed suffering".

Now, out on the open road for approx. 1 mile, 2 sets of traffic lights about 200 yards apart, slow down for both, "bike computer clock ticking away, average speed suffering".

A decent stretch now, with no hold ups for approx. 2 mile, average speed slowly creeps up, approach small village, speed bumps, parked cars, slight hill, junction, slow down for tight bends "bike computer clock ticking away, average speed suffering big time".

And so the ride goes on, now away from roundabouts, junctions, traffic lights etc etc, average speed creeps up slow for a good few miles, miles now building and 'average speed' now levelling out, more miles/more riding time = slower movement of average speed if your travelling at 'about' your average speed.
Now, you're climbing for a while, you're travelling well below your 'average' speed, your average speed now starts to drop a bit faster, you end the climb and things level out, you are again travelling at about your average speed, so your 'average' speed hold steady.

Right, more miles/time on the computer, you've now got a tail wind and you're on a lovely long downhill stretch, your 'average' speed now picks up, creeping up steadily but surely.

You've now travelled 30 - 40 mile and your 'average' speed holds pretty steady, it's now quite difficult to change your 'average' speed.

You're heading back now, 'warming' down, back into traffic etc, stop at lights, go slow to junction/roundabout etc, here's that frase again, "bike computer clock ticking away, average speed suffering big time".

You now ride quite steady, push bike along drive, wheel bike round car, into garage, "bike computer clock ticking away, average speed suffering big time".

Lot's of factors affecting 'your' average speed, to compare my average speed to someone elses, who lives in an entirely different area and is potentially riding with entirely different factors, is slightly meaningless.

What i've wrote is slightly off topic I know, but i wanted to highlight the fact that an 'average' speed can be different for any number of reasons, even the same route, same time of day.

I personally do watch my average speed and take pleasure from trying to 'increase' it, though over the years it's become more of a slightly vague indicator if i'm fit or not, i've been very tired achieving a 15mph average, and vice versa i've felt quite fresh averaging 3+ more than this.

I've had lots of superb rides with an overall 'riding time' average (including all the factors listed above) of 15-16 mph, just as i've had loads of rides in the 16-18 mph range and i've had a few, simply wonderfu, memorable 20mph 60 milers. The vast majority of my rides have been enjoyable, i.e. i've achieved what i've set out to do.

To summarise i'd say:

Ride to get fit, it's not a pleasant feeling riding unfit, there's no fun in that.

Once 'fit', simply try and do rides that are enjoyable, why else do you ride ?.

If your average speed increases, and it will if you do the miles, then so be it, but first and foremost, riding should be an enjoyable/entertaining/fun experience.

Phew, Chr*st, where did that come from ?"

Comments

• ashbyalien
    ashbyalien Posts: 609
    true indeed, it's the joy of cycling that makes us do it.

for the record, i have 2 sets of traffic lights and 9 roundabouts on my 9.5 mile commute.

<font size="1"><font color="red">www.myspace.com/sfcv2</font id="red"></font id="size1">
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    I have 19 sets of traffic lights, 2 roundabouts and 6 zebra crossings on my 8.5 commute. Average speed to work is nearly always 15mph.

Most good computers 'stop the clock' when you're stationary so you only suffer when braking/accelerating.

One more turn of the wheels...just one!
  • i too got fed up of counting miles and watching my average speed, so the computer suffered a fatal collision with a sledge hammer. the hrm is now happy bleeping away with a clubmate. me? i'm happier riding now than for quite a while without being dictated to by various gadgets!
  • I always sprint up to my average to keep it high [:p]

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    As you say the enjoyment should come from the cycling so lose the needless gadgetry and get on with it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Volcano vaporizers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • I haven't read the training section yet but I assume you are posting to the thread I started. Its true that all the fafing around in traffic lowers the average but I can put my comp' on pause until I'm clear of the town and it goes onto pause when I stop at lights.

I like to try and increase my average because I feel I have acheived something. If I think about it more than that I think perhaps I am slightly obsesive. Since I started riding to work some 6-7 years ago I have become more and more into this cycling lark. Progressing from a MTB through a fine specimin of a hybrid and now onto quite a fine specimin of a road bike. Each time I have changed my bike I have got a bit faster and I am really enjoying it. What once I once thought was a long distance (30 miles) is little more than a quick ride in the evening. When weekend comes I am pushing 100 miles and I think how easy it is really, I've only had the road bike since about March. So when I can get up to 35+ mph on a flat using nothing more than my own legs I am very happy.
  • Cesii
    Cesii Posts: 22
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PhilofCas</i>

"Increasing average speed":

"A fairly typical ride:

Push bike out of garage, "bike computer clock ticking away, average speed suffering big time".

Set off down the road, steady, to junction at bottom, "bike computer clock ticking away, average speed suffering".
    Ride along to next junction, over speed bumps, still warming up, "bike computer clock ticking away, average speed suffering".

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Sigh, and I can't even get my cycle computer to work, perhaps I should buy them from Halfords instead of Lidl?
    [xx(]

I see elephants
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    I see elephants
    Pimp my Duchamp
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    I look at the road, the cars, the side streets, the houses, the sky, the legs of the young ladies out for a run in Fulham...

Mmmm...

Oh. Where was I? Oh yes...

And then, at the end of the ride when I've got off the bike, I look at the cycle computer to see how I did.

(And like a geeky statto I type all of it in to BikeJournal to keep a track of it).

--
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I'd use that.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • PhilofCas
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wastelander</i>

Most good computers 'stop the clock' when you're stationary so you only suffer when braking/accelerating.

One more turn of the wheels...just one!

Quite right, that's what i was getting at, it's fine when the speed is nil and the clock has stopped, the 'average' doesn't move, it's those periods when you may be registering 1 to say 10mph when you're 'damaging' your average speed.

I think someone said recently that they ditched their computer and felt quite liberated because of it, fair point.
  • CraigDcp
    CraigDcp Posts: 12
    I'd love to discount the relevance of avs to my enjoyment etc but at the moment I have been put off getting in touch with my local cycling club (solihull) to see what they're all about as my best (average ride speed) to date is a meagre 15.4 mph!

Looking at their website, you need to be pulling at least 17 - 18 mph averages to keep up on their sunday rides. As a result, I am now in the vicious circle of not knowing what its like to group ride etc

Catch 22?

Craig
  • Jaeger
    Jaeger Posts: 439
    I have found that by plotting my Ave Speed/Ave HR this helps account for the cruising time up to lights etc, as your HR drops (to a certain extent with speed), giving a (slightly) more accurate reflection of average speed against how hard you're working.

I know this idea will now be slated by others, but if constantly riding in the same zones, speeds etc I find it gives a fair guide as to improvements in fitness.
  • PhilofCas
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CraigD</i>

I'd love to discount the relevance of avs to my enjoyment etc but at the moment I have been put off getting in touch with my local cycling club (solihull) to see what they're all about as my best (average ride speed) to date is a meagre 15.4 mph!

Looking at their website, you need to be pulling at least 17 - 18 mph averages to keep up on their sunday rides. As a result, I am now in the vicious circle of not knowing what its like to group ride etc

Catch 22?

Craig

I'd say at an 'average' of 15.4 on your own, you'd be fine tucked in the back of a group (if you stay close enough to them), if they're a friendly bunch i think they'd help you along.

If you've got a contact at the club then sound them out, you could always go so far with them then if you're struggling just peel off and ride home on your own, that's the advice i was given a few year back.
    Having only rode in a large group on a couple of occasions myself, i'd say if you've got the time and you can get involved in a club then don't hold back, riding in a group can be a brilliant experience,

All the best.
  • IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CraigD</i>

...you need to be pulling at least 17 - 18 mph averages to keep up on their sunday rides. As a result, I am now in the vicious circle of not knowing what its like to group ride etc

How long a ride is your 15.4mph average over? If it's over a comparable distance to one of the club runs - most likely 50-80 miles - then I'd be pretty confident that you'll be fine. Everyone goes quicker in a group for a variety of reasons.

I normally plod around by myself in the low 16's, but generally find a club run with an average of 18+ to be an easier morning out.

Give it a go!
  • I've found that wind seems to make the most difference to my ride times and effort (heart rate - not perceived). I reckon I'd find a cadence monitor more use than a speed/distance measure - particularly as I'd also be able to check my gear selection is appropriate.

Unfortunately I've not done so well at finding an affordable (and suitably rugged) unit. Any recommendations?

Cheers

S.O.T Dump
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    easy solution:
    Adjust your bike computer lower speed limit to 15mph so it ignores speeds less than this when warming up and slowing for junctions.
    Problem then is when your climbing it will ignore your climbs unless you can climb at 15mph [:D]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PhilofCas</i>

I've just copied this (and slightly tweaked it) from my recent reply down in training, topic "Increasing average speed":

"A fairly typical ride:

Slow up at junction, "bike computer clock ticking away, average speed suffering big time".

Set off from junction, towards roundabout, slow for roundabout, "bike computer clock ticking away, average speed suffering".

Travel towards another roundabout, slow a bit for traffic, "bike computer clock ticking away, average speed suffering".

Now, out on the open road for approx. 1 mile, 2 sets of traffic lights about 200 yards apart, slow down for both, "bike computer clock ticking away, average speed suffering".

A decent stretch now, with no hold ups for approx. 2 mile, average speed slowly creeps up, approach small village, speed bumps, parked cars, slight hill, junction, slow down for tight bends "bike computer clock ticking away, average speed suffering big time".

And so the ride goes on, now away from roundabouts, junctions, traffic lights etc etc, average speed creeps up slow for a good few miles, miles now building and 'average speed' now levelling out, more miles/more riding time = slower movement of average speed if your travelling at 'about' your average speed.
    Now, you're climbing for a while, you're travelling well below your 'average' speed, your average speed now starts to drop a bit faster, you end the climb and things level out, you are again travelling at about your average speed, so your 'average' speed hold steady.

Right, more miles/time on the computer, you've now got a tail wind and you're on a lovely long downhill stretch, your 'average' speed now picks up, creeping up steadily but surely.

You've now travelled 30 - 40 mile and your 'average' speed holds pretty steady, it's now quite difficult to change your 'average' speed.

You're heading back now, 'warming' down, back into traffic etc, stop at lights, go slow to junction/roundabout etc, here's that frase again, "bike computer clock ticking away, average speed suffering big time".

You now ride quite steady, push bike along drive, wheel bike round car, into garage, "bike computer clock ticking away, average speed suffering big time".

Lot's of factors affecting 'your' average speed, to compare my average speed to someone elses, who lives in an entirely different area and is potentially riding with entirely different factors, is slightly meaningless.

What i've wrote is slightly off topic I know, but i wanted to highlight the fact that an 'average' speed can be different for any number of reasons, even the same route, same time of day.

I personally do watch my average speed and take pleasure from trying to 'increase' it, though over the years it's become more of a slightly vague indicator if i'm fit or not, i've been very tired achieving a 15mph average, and vice versa i've felt quite fresh averaging 3+ more than this.

I've had lots of superb rides with an overall 'riding time' average (including all the factors listed above) of 15-16 mph, just as i've had loads of rides in the 16-18 mph range and i've had a few, simply wonderfu, memorable 20mph 60 milers. The vast majority of my rides have been enjoyable, i.e. i've achieved what i've set out to do.

To summarise i'd say:

Ride to get fit, it's not a pleasant feeling riding unfit, there's no fun in that.

Once 'fit', simply try and do rides that are enjoyable, why else do you ride ?.

If your average speed increases, and it will if you do the miles, then so be it, but first and foremost, riding should be an enjoyable/entertaining/fun experience.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">[:D]

Feel free to browse and donate:
    http://www.justgiving.com/davidbethanmills
    My winter and summer bike pics

http://oldwelshman.myphotoalbum.com