what camelbak for road use

WXM_rider
WXM_rider Posts: 13
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Hi.
to get to the point i prefer a camelbak to using bottles.
i USED TO mtb MOSTLY AND FOUND IT HARD TO SWIG FROM A BOTTLE SO I'VE ALWAYS USED A CAMELBAK.
NOW I'M BACK AND ITS 100% ROAD FOR NOW.
CAN YOU TELL ME WHICH CAMELBAK YOU PREFER ? a 2 ltr model would be enough i think.
It'll have to be able to take spares a few tools and maybe a raincoat.
sorry for the caps.

Regards Barry.

Regards Bazza
Regards Bazza

Comments

• Will1985
    Will1985 Posts: 289
    I don't know what model it is, but I have one with a 1.8L bladder with a zip for keys and a bit of money. For road, I'd prefer one which is quite flat to the back as opposed to a bulkier rucksack style. Spares can always go in the back of your jersey. Not sure about the raincoat.
  • damptw
    damptw Posts: 34
    I have the classic which holds 3L, and also comes in a 2L version, it has a small pocket and a bungi cord which you could use for bulkier stuff like a raincoat. I have found there is a bit of room for stuff under the flap that covers the mouth of the bladder.
  • WXM_rider
    WXM_rider Posts: 13
    was looking at the 2ltr classic........... as one of my choices
    I guess if you loose the bulk of the rucksack style camel you loose storage space also.

Regards Bazza
    Regards Bazza
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    No offence but just get used to using bottles, your back will not get sweaty and 'orrible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    RHODE ISLAND DISPENSARIES
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Try the Slipstream - it sits slightly higher and closer to the back, meaning yo can still get to your jersey pockets - but getting used to bottles is better unless you can't get refills
  • gbb
    gbb Posts: 1,240
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

No offence but just get used to using bottles, <font color="red">your back will not get sweaty and 'orrible.</font id="red">~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Is this why i've never seen roadies with a camelback..
    I cant stand a rucksack on when i'm riding ( straight after work ), no matter how light it is.

Its like having an electric fire strapped to my back [xx(]
    Ive always assumes a camelback would do the same !!

Horses for courses though...if youre used to it..good enough.

Chill out, fer Christsakes....

• Bianchi Boy
    Bianchi Boy Posts: 323
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by WXM_rider</i>

was looking at the 2ltr classic........... as one of my choices
    I guess if you loose the bulk of the rucksack style camel you loose storage space also.

Regards Bazza

I use a Camelbak classic somtimes on the road bikes. It's small, and quite aerodynamic. I'm sure that Camelbak do a model specificaly aimed for road bike users, but I can't remember what it it called.

Celeste is best

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z38/ ... ion002.jpg
    http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z38/ ... ion005.jpg
    http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z38/ ... ion006.jpg
    http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z38/ ... ion010.jpg
    http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z38/ ... ion012.jpg
  • ashbyalien
    ashbyalien Posts: 609
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gbb</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

No offence but just get used to using bottles, <font color="red">your back will not get sweaty and 'orrible.</font id="red">~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol

Is this why i've never seen roadies with a camelback..
    I cant stand a rucksack on when i'm riding ( straight after work ), no matter how light it is.

Its like having an electric fire strapped to my back [xx(]
    Ive always assumes a camelback would do the same !!

Horses for courses though...if youre used to it..good enough.

second this comment, i really dont like having a bag on my back for the commute, but, its a necessary evil. for my 24hr mtb racing i have a 1.5 litre hydrapack, it holds the water (obviously) and has space for multitool, tube and thats about it.

i reckon it'd be decent for road riding.

[:D]

<font size="1"><font color="red">www.myspace.com/sfcv2</font id="red"></font id="size1">
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by WXM_rider</i>

Hi.
    to get to the point i prefer a camelbak to using bottles.
    i USED TO mtb MOSTLY AND FOUND IT HARD TO SWIG FROM A BOTTLE SO I'VE ALWAYS USED A CAMELBAK.
    NOW I'M BACK AND ITS 100% ROAD FOR NOW.
    CAN YOU TELL ME WHICH CAMELBAK YOU PREFER ? a 2 ltr model would be enough i think.
    It'll have to be able to take spares a few tools and maybe a raincoat.
    sorry for the caps.

Regards Barry.

Regards Bazza

I use a Camelback Mule with a three litre bladder. More often than not it will do for 1 100km Audax but there have been occasions when i've had to refill it on the ride. My record for 100km is around 6.5 litres but it was very hot with a mild tail wind so no cooling effects of the wind in your face......

I don't feel confident reaching down for bottles and besides I can not carry enough fluids for a ride in two bottles.

As for the hot back 'problem' I don't really notice it but there again I used to do long distance walking and was used to having a rucksack on my back.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I'm thinking of getting one too.

May go for the classic 2 litre or http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360022477&N=Camelbak%20Waterbak%20Hydration%20System which is 1.5 litres

Richard

Best thing I ever bought for a bike?
    Padded shorts![:D]
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • You might try Decathlon who sell their own brand camel backs and sacs. I bought one last year for about œ17 or so. really good value and they sell spares for the bladder.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Camelbak come into there own, in the winter nice warm drink
    in the summer cold drink with an ice pack cold for over 3 hours I use a blowfish 3L

Non Omnis Moriar
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    I can understand why you'd need a Camelbak for mtb but not for road, you should try to get used to the bottles. Practice a little if confidence is a problem.
    If you drop a bottle, let it go. Hey, the pros drop their's all the time!

Your back will thank you for it!