cycle commuting and climate change

Kev67
Kev67 Posts: 2,351
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
Time to put your helmets on, or is that a different argument.

Has anyone noticed any new, wobbly, inexperienced looking cyclists who may have started cycling to work to save the planet? I can't say I've noticed many.

<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="purple">Cycle the power.</font id="purple"></font id="size1"></font id="Book Antiqua">
<font size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><font color="purple">Cycle the power.</font id="purple"></font id="size1"></font id="Book Antiqua">

Comments

• Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Complete opposite in fact. There seems to be more large cars on the road than ever!!

SNAPS
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    Seems to be a bit colder this week, so something is definitely working!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    DRUGTEST
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • hate those fair weather cyclists that are clogging up my route at the mo, guess i'm being a bit anti!

dangerous jules.
    god bless those pagans!
    dangerous jules.
  • Kev67
    Kev67 Posts: 2,351
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eat My Dust</i>

Complete opposite in fact. There seems to be more large cars on the road than ever!!

SNAPS

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You think so too. There seem to be more and more 4x4s around.

• Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    My commute seams to have an effect on the climate, it turns colder and wetter as soon as i leave the office[:p]

A hirsute Scotsman.

Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • The Endorser
    The Endorser Posts: 191
    Not seem any - people just don't seem to a give a s**t, as long as they can still have their 4 x 4s and their own comforts.

<i><b>Taking the moral high ground since 1969</b></i>
    <i><b>Commute - you might even enjoy it!</b></i>
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    Im a recent reconvert to cycle commuting after 10 years in the car (read wobbly, inexperienced cyclist if you want :D ), I started it with two purposes regaining some of the fitness of my youth, and saving money.

Ive suceeded... at least in convincing myself im getting fitter, and instead of saving money ive redistributed how I spend it and get more toys instead of funding the government to the same tune...

Now where did saving the planet come into it? oh yeah thats a err nice side bonus. Sorry I cant claim any kind of green credentials I use energy saving kit purely and solely to save money, I cycle because I feel its better for me personally.
  • Cab
    Cab Posts: 770
    It strikes me as a crying shame that all of the efficiencies in modern engines have been thrown out of the window as cars have got bigger.

<i>Free baby elephants for every citizen</i>
    Vote Arch for Prime Minister
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Cab, it's not the size, it's the weight - cars are virtually double the weight that they used to be, in the name of safety. The final irony is that people want just as much power so engines need to be bigger/better and completely eliminate any fuel efficiency. "they don't make them [crap] like they used to" [:D]
  • Cab
    Cab Posts: 770
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Graham G</i>

Cab, it's not the size, it's the weight - cars are virtually double the weight that they used to be, in the name of safety. The final irony is that people want just as much power so engines need to be bigger/better and completely eliminate any fuel efficiency. "they don't make them [crap] like they used to" [:D]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yeah, I guess... But I'll bet that a thumping great big heavy car weighs less than a tiny heavy car. Or am I mistaken?

<i>Free baby elephants for every citizen</i>
    Vote Arch for Prime Minister
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    I agree with you on this one Cab, I think this is following the same general principle as risk compensation, i.e. a + b = 1, make a smaller and b gets bigger to compensate so that it still ends up equalling one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Maine Dispensary
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol