Touring Bikes for a Female

gerrybubble
gerrybubble Posts: 7
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Hi All,

Can anyone put me out of my misery? I am in the process of driving myself and everyone close to me mad trying to decide on a suitable and reliable touring bike. I don't have any real long distance challenges in mind but you never know! I have been looking at the Dawes Galaxy range and just recently Thorn cycles in Bridgwater ( more expensive, but are they worth it? ) Everyone suggests 'try before you buy' but no local shops have any Dawes in stock so that's proving difficult. I still have to go to Bridgwater to try out the Thorn range.
Can anyone give any help and advice please.
Ta very much.

Gerry
Gerry

Comments

• hello not sure where you are in the country but we went through a similar dilemma when looking for a bike for my fiance, i have a galaxy, but i bought it second hand on a whim, saying that i am very pleased with it, you do have to ride it before you buy as there is no substitute for it, in the end we looked at a whole bunch of bikes before settling on a condor heritage with veloce, (similar to the one in the comic a while back) and it blows my galaxy in to the weeds, so much faster and more comfortable, shame i don't have the money to have one myself.

CF
  • I suspect that the ONLY advantages of the Thorn are that they do try to *size* the bike to your measurements and that they offer I think a *money back* deal.

I reckon they are overpriced, but then there isn't a lot of competition in their particular market.

d.j.
    "Like a true nature's child,
    We were born,
    Born to drink mild"
  • maddog_2cp
    maddog_2cp Posts: 73
    some way off I suspect but Hewitt has a good rep and can build bikes to fit

<font size="1"><font color="purple">
    Drop bars are a historical accident...... discuss</font id="purple"></font id="size1">
    Drop bars are a historical accident...... discuss
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Speak to Paul Hewitt about touring machines. He'll sort you out!

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • caissad
    caissad Posts: 59
    My wife has a Hewitt Cheviot and she absolutely loves it. She finds it very comfortable for the distances she rides (up to 80 miles at the moment). The Paul Hewitt fitting service is also second to none if you are not too far away from Leyland, Lancashire.
  • most of the ladies in our club have hewitts.
  • Bagonabike
    Bagonabike Posts: 2,239
    It depends on what your budget is....if you've got enough money for a custom build, it must be the best way to go.

I have a Dawes Horizon that I've had for 4 years. Had to tweak it a bit to get the fit right (I'm 5'4 and it felt a bit long) but have ridden thousands of problem-free miles on it as commuter/day tourer/audax bike. It's a great all rounder for the money even if it's not exactly unusual or bike-bling!

Revolution Country is the same bike but slightly cheaper.

Suppose it still doesn't help you out if you can't find one to try out anywhere though....
  • Cheers to all for your help/comments and suggestions, very much appreciated.

Gerry
    Gerry