Painfull Lumps

wolvesandy
wolvesandy Posts: 63
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Been cycling now since march this year, and recently started to build the mileage up but the only problem is ive got a couple of lumps on my under-carriage [:I] ive been wearing padded shorts and my saddle feels ok, these lumps feel like a spot/boil, is there anything you can buy to stop this or anything that you can put on to help releive some of the pain and to stop me walking round like john wayne [:D]

Comments

• McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    If they are "lumps" then you should get them looked at. They could be benign fluid-filled cysts but it is better to know for certain before you start looking at lotions etc.

That said, I use SavlonT and SudocremeT (not together) and these help to prevent chaffing and sore spots developing. If it is a boil that you've got then your pharmacist should be able to recommend a 'drawing lotion' that will literally bring things to a point so that you can bust the bugger and get the pus out [xx(]

<font size="1">
    What do I ride? Now that's an <b><font color="black">Enigma</b></font id="black"> </font id="size1">

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    If they're actually on the skin then it may be something similar to what I had after a few 5 hour rides. The doctor gave me thrush cream, very embarrassing[:I] Mrs EMD though it was all very amusing. <i>But</i> you should go and see your doctor.

SNAPS
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    Probably your balls have dropped.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Suzuki Gsx-R400 Specifications
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    do yourself a favour and get it checked out !!! i did and it turned out to be my worst fear,please,i am not trying to scare you but for your own peace and mind

and almost 10 years on i am still here[:)]

i'd rather have a bottle in front of me,than a frontal lobotomy

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • Cesii
    Cesii Posts: 22
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

Probably your balls have dropped.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Lol
    You horrible man

I see elephants
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    I see elephants
    Pimp my Duchamp
  • they usually get very painful then pop.but if you're worried get it checked out.
  • aarwcp
    aarwcp Posts: 258
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by piedwagtail91</i>

they usually get very painful then pop.but if you're worried get it checked out.

but what are they??

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/?op=list& ... rid=159638
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    I had deep tissue (way down under the skin) lumps last year. Worried it was cancer or something nasty, until told that actually these are true 'saddle sores'. They are caused by the pressure of the saddle to the area affected, rather than chafing of shorts or saddle on skin. Basically the deep soft tissue hardens to protect itself aginst the constant pressure. This isn't the surface of the skin becaoming calloused, but is deep inside the tissue. Mine were caused by a too hard saddle (Brooks B17) that wasn't the right shape for me, so I was not sitting properly on my sit bones and the affected are was bearing nearly all my weight. You could be sitting on a too-hard saddle and/or one which either isn't the right size/shape for you or isn't set up correctly to suit your riding position, style and mileage. I changed my saddle to one with a cut out hole, as well as lowering it by about 5mm and tilting it very slightly nose-up and the lumps disappeared.

If you simply have surface-skin spots or abrasions, this is diffrent and just cuased by sweat and bacteria build up in shorts or by chafing. Better wicking shorts, cleaning your skin well after rides and/or a more breathable saddle (leather or leather covered and not plastic) can help prevent surface spots.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Have a look here
    http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068818/

Non Omnis Moriar
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Have a look here
    http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068818/

Now I am going to vomit[:(]

Don't worry the man said, things could be worse. And sure enough, they got worse
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • wong
    wong Posts: 817
    See your GP for some topical antibiotics
    Next, you need some prevention - use decent shorts (nothing underneath and wash after every wear) , check your position, do you need a saddle change?

http://www.cyclistclub.org.hk/main.htm
    One thing better than a bicycle is a better bicycle
    http://www.cyclistclub.org.hk/main.htm
    One thing better than a bicycle is a better bicycle
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    if it hasn't sunk in by now.... SEE YOUR GP!!!

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • Anyone seen that awful movie with all the boils being being popped?

i would get to the docs ASAP!!

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • i had to share....

ONLY click if you have a strong stomach, its a bit gross

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=889_1173021252

This could happen to you if you don't react to the 'little' spots

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • sonicred007
    sonicred007 Posts: 1,091
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Steve Austin</i>

i had to share....

ONLY click if you have a strong stomach, its a bit gross

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=889_1173021252

This could happen to you if you don't react to the 'little' spots

Mleh Mleh Mleh
    I got as far as the armpit and bailed out

Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68463844@N ... otostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68463844@N00/218502187/
  • Krypton
    Krypton Posts: 466
    Well, you missed a treat ... the Botfly removal (No.2) and the arm explosion (No.1) ... lol [:D]

--
    Stopped smoking, saved a fortune. Started cycling, spent it all! - PS, don't <b>CLICK THIS LINK!!</b>
    --
    Stopped smoking, saved a fortune. Started cycling, spent it all!
  • ghitchen
    ghitchen Posts: 44
    I got to the "needle pop" and started feeling nauseous. Okay, I admit it, I'm a wimp.

Yes, but apart from the elephants, what have the Romans ever done for us?
    Yes, but apart from the elephants, what have the Romans ever done for us?
  • wolvesandy
    wolvesandy Posts: 63
    Ewwwwww I didnt get far into it either [:(] looks like a trip to the dr's then,,,,,,,,unless i get the mrs to get the video camera out and get her to have a squeeze [:D]
  • sounds like saddle sores. ihad same problem and have been riding for years.what i used was sudocreme and chamos cream in my shorts and so i could keep riding iput on a corn plaster over the sore .worked for me no problem since .
  • littlered
    littlered Posts: 20
    Did you have to shave the area to put the plaster on??[:I]
  • nun
    nun Posts: 434
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Blonde</i>

I had deep tissue (way down under the skin) lumps last year. Worried it was cancer or something nasty, until told that actually these are true 'saddle sores'. They are caused by the pressure of the saddle to the area affected, rather than chafing of shorts or saddle on skin. Basically the deep soft tissue hardens to protect itself aginst the constant pressure. This isn't the surface of the skin becaoming calloused, but is deep inside the tissue. Mine were caused by a too hard saddle (Brooks B17) that wasn't the right shape for me, so I was not sitting properly on my sit bones and the affected are was bearing nearly all my weight. You could be sitting on a too-hard saddle and/or one which either isn't the right size/shape for you or isn't set up correctly to suit your riding position, style and mileage. I changed my saddle to one with a cut out hole, as well as lowering it by about 5mm and tilting it very slightly nose-up and the lumps disappeared.

If you simply have surface-skin spots or abrasions, this is diffrent and just cuased by sweat and bacteria build up in shorts or by chafing. Better wicking shorts, cleaning your skin well after rides and/or a more breathable saddle (leather or leather covered and not plastic) can help prevent surface spots.

I get the same thing after riding 50 miles or more. I get a hard spot
    deep in the tissue on the inner side of my left buttock. It is sore and if I push on it hard I get some fluid seeping into my (sorry for the language) butt crack. After a day or so the tissue is back to normal, soft and no pain.
  • gary b
    gary b Posts: 110
    i made it to the butt cist and nearly thru up.

you sickos
    i will not sleep now

the revolution will not be motorised.....
    the revolution will not be motorised.....
  • currieinahurry
    currieinahurry Posts: 2,695
    thats horrid those bot flys ahhhh!
    tikka

hi my name is adam... and i have a problem with posting on cycling forums.
    hi my name is adam... and i have a problem with posting on cycling forums.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Jeeze - and I thought the odd face-egg was bad [xx(]

<font size="1">
    What do I ride? Now that's an <b><font color="black">Enigma</b></font id="black"> </font id="size1">

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!