Ride turned into a walk

MrKawamura
MrKawamura Posts: 192
edited December 1969 in Road beginners
Went out last night on a new route I found on Bikely, a 20 mile flat ride. On they way home, about a mile from where I live, I scooted up onto one of those mini cycle paths they put at busy roundabouts. At that point a loud pinging clattering sound errupted from my back wheel. My first thought was that maybe a spoke had broken.

There then followed an explosive release of air and my tyre was flat in about a second. A two and a half inch nail was sticking through it, protruding at both ends. The tip of the nail has gouged the rim slightly - it looked like my wheel had been shot with a nail gun. I picked up the bike and walked home.

So I need a new inner tube. Do I need to get a new tyer as well, or can I get away with keeping the one with two small holes in it?

I guess I have to fork out for a tyre, just don't want to. Need a mini pump, levers and a spare tube as well - I was lucky this didn't happen 10 miles from home - warning heeded.

Comments

• pauluscp
    pauluscp Posts: 2,530
    Probably you will need to buy a new tyre. As the nail has gone right through the side walls the integrity of the tyre strength has gone. Check your rim as well, you may get away with just filing the rough edge of the rim down.

So many roads, so little time!!!
    So many roads, so little time!!!
  • And therein lies the perils of cycle paths... collectors of all manner of rubbish & road debris.

Some people super glue tyres. I've not tried it myself. Stick a tube in, inflate and see what the damage to the tyre looks like then - you might be okay. It's quite normal to get cuts & holes etc in tyres, and they're not always a problem, but it is your call.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    2 lessons learnt eh:

1. Avoid cyclepaths - they are the spawn of satan.
    2. Always carry tools and spares.

Like you I learnt the hard way![;)]

My Best Bike
  • MrKawamura
    Edit: (more replies while typing).

I'll try looking at the tyer with a new inner tube, thanks. The damage to the rim seemed minor, but I'll take a closer look tonight.

I bought one of those mini bags that go under the saddle, I think I'll start taking it with me!
  • Meds1962
    Meds1962 Posts: 391
    Buy a decent set of tyres that have kevlar protection built in then leave all the ironmongery at home. If the worst comes to the worst once in a blue moon you must know someone who will nip out to pick you up. I have a set of vittoria rubino pros that have been going almost two years with no punctures apart from one pinch that was my fault because the pressure was too low.

O na bawn i fel LA
    O na bawn i fel LA
  • A handy tip to get you home and the tyre has partially split, is to cover the hole on the inside of the tyre with a bit of cardboard. An old discarded Cigarette pack is perfect.

Oh dear....how will I get home when they finally ban smoking!
  • MrKawamura
    Thanks for the tips. I've just been to the lbs in my lunch break and bought two new tubes and a co2 inflator. Cheaper on the internet, I'm sure, but I decided I couldn't wait one day. Now I have some ironmungery to put in my saddle bag.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Meds1962</i>

I have a set of vittoria rubino pros that have been going almost two years with no punctures apart from one pinch that was my fault because the pressure was too low.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

How much do you pay for these tough tyres?
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    I have kevlar banded tyres but wouldn't dream of cycling more than a handful of miles without taking a spare tube, pump, tyre levers AND a repair kit with several spare patches.

I work on the principle that my friends / wife etc have better things to do than pick me up if I am stranded due to puncturing and being inadequately prepared.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Totally agree. I run Conti GP4000 tires which are pretty tough IME, but always carry a small toolkit, 2 co2 canisters, tire levers, patches and a spare tube (all of which fits in my Specialized mini wedgie saddle bag). Better to be prepared, plus I have learnt the hard way. Sometimes there will be no one about to pick you up and besides I'd rather carry on with my ride than be forced to abandon.

My Best Bike
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    I generally carry one tube a pump and some basic tools to get me home, When I finally get my new bike im planning on two tubes, but cant be bothered to buy a second one for what is only a temporary bike.
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    I use kevlar banded tyres. It's rare, but they have punctured a couple of times over the last 3 years.

I always carry a pump on the frame, a spare tube & tyre levers in my jersey pocket and there are a couple of self adhesive patches in the handle of the pump, just in case.

Pete
    (Not reckless, just fast)
  • Sounds like common sense really...be prepared and hope you never have to be