Slippery Seat Post

McBain_v1
McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Apart from a shim (and is there anywhere that sell them), are there any other tricks that could be employed to stop my Thompson Elite seatpost migrating slowly downward? I am trying to avoid overtightening the seatpost collar. Is there any sort of "grippy gel" (the opposite of grease I suppose) that I could smear on the post to get some traction / grip?

Help please [:I]

<font size="1">
What do I ride? Now that's an <b><font color="black">Enigma</b></font id="black"> </font id="size1">

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!

Comments

• rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    hairspray.

No, I'm not making it up. Someone makes a binding compound for carbon components like seatposts, but it sounds like an American solution in search of bad engineering to me.

What frame is yours? A shim would have to be VERY slim to work in the average 'slipping interface'.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I'm only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • McBain_v1
    <b>rusty</b>, the frame is an Enigma Espirt (titanium). I will give the hairspray a go as it sounds like it could be a cheap fix.

<b>Steve</b>, although the blurb on the PACE stuff you have provided a link to (thanks for that) says that it works on other materials, it seems to be geared primarily toward carbon seat posts. The Thompson Elite is a metal (7000 series aluminium I think) seat post. I don't know if this is relevant though [:I]

<font size="1">
    What do I ride? Now that's an <b><font color="black">Enigma</b></font id="black"> </font id="size1">

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Hi Steve you're not the first Enigma owner who has problems with slipping seatposts on one of their frames.

Hmmm not good. Hope you get it sorted mate.

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • McBain_v1
    I've heard about this as well <b>Giant Man</b> and hope that it is a simple fix. Perhaps the blingin' titanium seat clamp I've got isn't up to snuff, I will try the Campagnolo one that I have and see if this improves things. Hopefully it isn't anything to do with the frame but I am going to get the micrometer out and start measuring. For the life of me I don't think it will be seat post itself, Thompson prides itself on the accuracy of its machining process. Ho hum... these things are sent to test us I guess.

<font size="1">

• Stuff i linked is to stop seatposts slipping. regardless of the material.
    i've got a ti and carbon frames and thomson seatposts, and have had the slip with a thomson in a ti frame.
    i changed the seatclamp as it wouldn't tighten enough to hold it, and slathered it in grease which sorted it for me.

Give Si a ring at 18 bikes, he's very friendly

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • redbiker
    redbiker Posts: 273
    A bit of climbers chalk should do the trick if the hairspray doesn't work.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    No Steve I don't think it's the seatpost either. Thomson are excellent manufacturer as you say, their stuff is good.

I hope for your sake it isn't the frame mate. Good luck with it. Steve Austin's comment about a Thomson post in a ti frame is intriguing have to say.

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.