Spesh Roubaix Comp vs Bianchi carbon c2c

andywgg
andywgg Posts: 303
edited June 2007 in Workshop
have discovered a crack in a weld on my airborne, so this has forced my hand into buying a new bike (shame, eh?). Am looking at these two bikes on Saturday - both are supposed to be comfy and have similar level of kit.

Issues: Bianchi is Veloce, and I like Campag kit, Spesh is 105 - are these similar levels of groupset?

Bianchi has Khamsin wheels - these seem to be v cheap - are the Mavics on the Spesh better?

Anyone got any hints or tips? Which should I buy???? Anything else to be considered?

may the dawes be with you...

andy

andy

Comments

• In the absence of any response from me l'rnd colleagues, I have a Roubaix. When I had mine it had Alex wheels, I think they now supply it with Aksiums? I have a set of Elites on mine now (long story), I have a pair of Aksiums on my winter bike. I don't think there is much to choose between them.

I'm afraid I am not familiar with the Bianchi. A friend of mine has an Airborne Valkyrie. I don't feel there is much to separate the Spesh and the Airborne. Hope this helps.

Take the long way home
    Take the long way home
  • Don't you have wheels you're happy with on your old bike? Why not just swap them onto the Bianchi?

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darber muá man schweigen."
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Buy a frame and spec the kit yourself. Presumably, you have some salvageable bits from the old bike. That way, you can choose all the bits you want rather than the cheapo corner-cutting bits that the bike manufacturer has fitted.
  • Mr P
    Mr P Posts: 548
    I believe 105 and veloce are touted to be comparable.
    I think the Bianchi is cheaper (list) by about œ150, which could fund some new wheels if the Khamsins didn't suit?
    Looks like the veloce Bianchi is specced with a 39/53 crankset, while the Roubaix has a compact. The Shimano Bianchis come with compacts, but some may consider the combination sacriligious! (The 105 Bianchi runs cheaper than the veloce and has Mavic Aksiums btw)
    The 928 C2C is a great looking bike and I'm considering one (Shimano)myself, so make sure you report back after your test rides!!
  • andywgg
    Cheers all - I'm being drawn to the Bianchi with better wheels - spoke to a guy in another branch of the shop who said that would be ok. equally, good call about swapping my wheels across, so will consider. He also reckoned veloce (what I also have on my other bike) is better than 105 - but that's a whole new argument!

I think the Bianchi looks cooler, but will have a look at the wheel issue.

andy

andy
  • andywgg
    Still wondering - off to shops tomorrow though. One issue is the chainset on the Bianchi is a 39-53 and I really want a 34-50 compact, so I guess that'll be more expense. How hard is it to change a chainset or is it a LBS job?

andy

andy
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    I had this dilemna between the two i opted for the Bianchi, I felt it was more unique, the C2C I got has 50/34 Compact, so they do make them if you ask, they'll order it with a compact.

If I had a baby elephant, who would take it for walks?
  • andywgg
    That was the way I was going, Aido - but the Veloce c2c doesn't come with a compact, and as we're into the neverland between years (yep - in bike-land it's new year!) they are in fairly short supply.

Anyway - went out today and discovered at a bike shop we stopped at before the place that had the Roubaix and the Bianchi that I should really have had a smaller frame than what I've been rising on for the last 3 years, so the Bianchi wasn't an option as it was in the larger size. Toyed with a Scott CR1 Pro at the place I discovered the size was wrong, but then was introduced to a limited edition Cannondale System Six with 105 groupset: http://www.chevincycles.com/products.ph ... 651&z=3274

It's œ200 less than the Scott, and apart from the cheaper groupset appears to be an absolute bargain - the frame apparently retails at what I'm paying for it. I think the wheels are a potential upgrade, as they're pretty cheap, but everything else seems like pretty good kit. Picj it up Friday, so I'll let y'all know.

Oh - and it comes with pedals!

andy

andy