Bealach - cattle grids

HP40
HP40 Posts: 39
edited June 2007 in Pro race
How do you deal with cattle grids?

Where I ride I encounter them often and always slow right down and sneak over them, afraid that speed might cause my wheels or frame to half in two.

When riding last year's Bealach I found myself doing the same, only to be passed, every time, by dozens of riders, all fleeing across at full speed.

Any anecdotes/info/advice out there?

Comments

• Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    I doubt if I was one of those who passed you but I could have been - I zip across them out of the saddle.
  • Normally I find cattle grids are like cobbles..........the faster you go over them, the less you feel them.

However, the caveat to this is that a cattle grid on a slight bend in the wet can be lethal.

They've recently installed new grids at the entrances to Woburn Park - for some reason they are incredibly slippy (indeed, this morning I see they are adding some sort of friction grip to them) - I had a big "moment" on one of these the other week when my front wheel started sliding from under me at 25mph and I only managed to regain control when the tyre "bit" on the tarmac on the other side.

===========================================================================
    http://www.ccluton.com (It's a lifestyle!!)
  • Always Always Always go over cattle grids straight on and upright, I go over 8 daily at up to 30mph and never have a problem unless it is icy.

If it doesn't fit, force it
    Steel is not the best friction material for bike tyres, especially when wet. The grids on the Bealach are worse than those on the FWC since they seem to be home made from railway track rails and widely spaced. I tend to cross all grids with caution but don't slow down. Just keep dead straight and upright at all costs.

Don't worry the man said, things could be worse. And sure enough, they got worse
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I always slow down approaching cattlegrids...for me its just not worth a) Chancing a bad accident
    b) Damaging my bike

On the FWC the cattlegrids are very good and you can basically fly over them(around Cold fell)

But i've came over dozens which would have you off your bike the minute you hit them...massive spaces between grills....loose grills..uneven etc...

And in the wet! Not a hope of me chancing it!
  • KeithG
    KeithG Posts: 1,010
    One of the big problems is when you're approaching a cattle grid uphill and going slowly, it's easy to lose traction on the grid and skid the back wheel, cue a painful slow motion fall.
  • philip99a
    philip99a Posts: 2,272
    If it's wet, get off and push across. Guy in my bike group had really nasty accident in the wet on one. I was right behind him and only just missed him!

Campag Super Nova; faster than a cannon ball
    Cycling - the most fun you can have sitting down.
  • Noodley
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KeithG</i>

One of the big problems is when you're approaching a cattle grid uphill and going slowly, it's easy to lose traction on the grid and skid the back wheel, cue a painful slow motion fall.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Brings back memories of the climb over Glen Quaich we did earlier this year when this happened to WeeDos when I was behind him [:0] Mind you, you were probably sitting waiting at the top by that time [:I]
  • nashcom
    nashcom Posts: 255
    I weigh each one up as I approach it. I find it's more of a mental thing! If I'm feeling okay, I'll maybe slow down a bit and make sure I hit it square-on. If I hesitate beforehand, I'll probably end up stopping and walking over - that's usually safer than a half-hearted attempt at crossing. Some of them are benign. Others look scary. If the concrete 'sleepers' in front or behind them have disintegrated, it looks worse (and probably is). On some, the metal bars going across the way have come away from the lengthwise struts, making them 'springy'. I ride fixed, so I can't stand up and coast over them. I find that vibrations seem to suck something out of my legs - it's an unpleasant feeling. If I'm tired I may tip-toe across, or use the gate (if there is one).

I don't know that I've ever ridden across a cattle grid that's been sited on a bend - I assume the Roads Departments aren't allowed to put them anywhere that's too dangerous... although, knowing some Roads Departments...

The other day I had to brake whilst crossing a cattle grid in the wet (driving a Landy) and I can confirm that even 4WD won't stop you slipping on wet metal!
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    I always blast across square on as others say. are the beleach grids really that much more fearsome?
  • Noodley
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wildmoustache</i>

I always blast across square on as others say. are the beleach grids really that much more fearsome?

personally speaking I cannae remember them so they can't be that bad. Now, the grids in Glen Lyon - jeeeesus! [:0][B)]
  • HP40
    I took in a few grids tonight. As I know each of them really well I was able to go at pace over them, while taking it easy for one or two that could cause at least a puncture if taken wrong. But I was still faster over them than before.

I did notice that going faster was actually less jarring than I'd have expected.

Thanks for all your advice. Now I can be confident(relatively) of not causing any pile-ups at the Bealach grids.

Cheers

(On the subject of grids being 'straight on' or 'wet' there is a grid at the start of Glen Fruin, just off the A814(next to Faslane)
    that sits in the damp shade of a railway bridge. It's at an angle of about 30degrees approached from one side and almost 90degrees from the other, and has a fair incline, going to or from an approx 15 degree hill. Throw in some wet leaves and it's a delight. It's one I will always take it easy on.)
  • HP40
    Damn, damn, damn. Sorry I said that word - P*******. I'd seen it and was going to edit, then forgot. Damn.

Apologies...
  • miffedcp
    miffedcp Posts: 315
    i bunny hop them cause ive got style.
  • philip99a
    philip99a Posts: 2,272
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by miffed</i>

i bunny hop them cause ive got style.

I get off and push across (in the wet) because I've got style [:)][:D]

Campag Super Nova; faster than a cannon ball
    Cycling - the most fun you can have sitting down.