New Bianchi

Unknown
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Im about to make the leap and buy an expensive (for me) road bike.

It will be a 2007 Bianchi coast 2 coast but I cant decide on either the œ850 veloce equiped or thre œ750 105 model.
I dont want to start any Campag v Shimano wars, but what is diference between the two designs??

My preference at the mo is for the campag, but only because its such a great name that was the pinnacle when I was a kid! or should I sve some money and get the 105 ?

cheers

<font size="1">Bike</font id="size1">

Comments

• digitaria
    digitaria Posts: 149
    Shimano on a Bianchi? Shouldn't be allowed [;)]

It's all down to personal preference and mostly how you find the shifting. Having used both, I would pay the extra for Veloce, especially on a Bianchi.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    are veloce shifters similar to sora in the way that there is a button to press to change gear at the top with only an extra stick that goes only one direction? i understand that the sora is a cheap cheap method to change gear but is that they case? whereas the 105 is another stick underneath the brake that goes left and right

why shouldn't shimano be allowed on a bianchi?

http://img501.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bikeim9.jpg
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    I'm with digitaria
    It all really comes down to 2 things; the shifting levers and image.

Campag use a lever behind the brake lever to moveto a bigger cog and a thumb button to move to a smaller cog, there are discussions about not being able to use the thumb-button when on the drops.
    The cheaper Shimano Sora uses the same system as Veloce.
    However, Shimano 105 upwards works slightly differently, the small lever behind the brake lever moves the chain to a smaller cog, and pushing the whole lever sideways moves the chain to a larger cog. Gear shifting either way is possible from the drops. Sure you will adapt to whichever you choose. Most people ride on the hoods anyway so how that feels is as good a reason! Shimano also looks a bit messier having the infamous "Clothes-line" of cable in front of the bars, Campagnolo is much neater with all cables in the bar-tape.

Oh, and image...well Campagnolo has that in spades and you can buy nice clothing (whoever bought Shimano clothing?), but Shimano have the market, no doubt, so they must be doing something right.

Anyway, I went out to buy a Campagnolo Veloce equipped Bianchi and came out of the shop having bought a Shimano Ultegra equipped Giant TCR! After testing both it was the better bike on the day.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • spasypaddy
    my cannondale had sora so thats what im used to! i ride predominantly on the hood, but i havent had a chance to try the other method. we shall see what happens when i go to buy a new bike!

• digitaria
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spasypaddy</i>

are veloce shifters similar to sora in the way that there is a button to press to change gear at the top with only an extra stick that goes only one direction? i understand that the sora is a cheap cheap method to change gear but is that they case? whereas the 105 is another stick underneath the brake that goes left and right

why shouldn't shimano be allowed on a bianchi?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The thumb shifter on Campag is easier to use than the Sora button and is easily reached from the drops. With Sora, most people can't reach the button from the drops. Campag is generally easier to use on the hoods, Shimano arguably easier on the drops. Since many people spend most of their time on the hoods, Campag is - again arguably - the better option. But it's what <i>you</i> think that matters.

Campag-equipped bikes, off the peg, are very much in the minority in the UK. Bianchi - which is Italian - is one of the few affordable marques where you can get Campag. To buy one with Japanese Shimano instead of Italian Campagnolo is, therefore, a bit of a sin in my book - but if it works for you, your riding and shifting comfort are more important than my hangups. [:p]
  • spasypaddy
    thanks for the heads up. but i do know better than to ask what is better shimano vs compag (ive only ever ridden shimano and would probably like to try a compag bike!)

• Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Oh dear, I wear Campag clothing, but have shimano gears on my Italian bike. Do I deserve a beating!![:I]

SNAPS
  • pauluscp
    pauluscp Posts: 2,530
    Personally I prefer Campag but only because i think it looks better. I use Tiagra, 105 and Veloce on my bikes. They all work very well. With campag you can adjust the front mech from the levers to stop any chain rub when using the more extreme sprokets on the cassette. You pays your money etc.

So many roads, so little time!!!
    So many roads, so little time!!!
  • digitaria
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eat My Dust</i>

Oh dear, I wear Campag clothing, but have shimano gears on my Italian bike. Do I deserve a beating!![:I]

SNAPS

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

No, but I think it's an offence under European law. [:)]