I promise to shut up soon

hopeful
hopeful Posts: 76
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Yes, indeed, I do promise to shut up soon. I have whined enough on another thread about my angst re whether to buy an Allez or not. I now know for sure that my Sirrus is the commuting machine I need. But now I'm considering an Allez for some fitness cycling (two bikes; I'm losing the run of myself). So now... I am assuming that the Allez is okay for run of the mill roads? I occasionally hear about people who buy fancy bikes and find there are no roads that are good enough to take them. I realise that the Allez (base model) isn't quite in the big-time elite category, but it's a big culture change for me.

If I could just decide...

Do most people just go and buy the thing? Am I the only one in need of some sort of therapy?

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Allez is a great bike, I have one which I now use as my winter bike. It's handled some pretty rubbish London and Sussex roads with no probs at all. Worth upgrading the wheels though, mine came with Alex wheels which weren't great. Oh and I commute on mine in the winter as well!

My Best Bike
  • bonescp
    bonescp Posts: 181
    i went from a mtb to a old steel frame peugot to the allez sport im no expert i just like riding and ride my allez 6-7 days aweek winter summer rain or shine and love it.

john
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I'm getting an Allez, lovely bike, just need one more pay day...

Richard

Best thing I ever bought for a bike?
    Padded shorts![:D]
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Just buy it. And Ride it [:D]

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • Richie G
    Richie G Posts: 283
    I love my Allez- have had it since christmas and have found it handles less than perfect surfaces pretty well. You quickly learn to avoid the worst of the potholes. Use min e everyday on urban roads, so it gets plenty of punishment. Still using original wheels (next upgrade!) and only problem i've had was a couple of loose spokes early on. Buy it and enjoy!
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Steve Austin</i>

Just buy it. And Ride it [:D]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    S'right. Get one - you won't get better for œ500.
  • TomF
    TomF Posts: 494
    "two bikes; I'm losing the run of myself"

I own four, ride all of them, and still want more.
  • MrKawamura
    MrKawamura Posts: 192
    Got my Allez three weeks ago. Handles the roads I've been on nicely, I think. Road smoothness varies a lot, but there are only a couple of roads I've found so far that are bumpy enough to make riding them a chore. If you are riding for fitness/leisure then you can go any route you like and avoid any roads you don't like.

I test rode the Allez Elite just to try it for frame size - with the zertz inserts it's a noticably smoother ride, but I still find my Allez comfortable. Longest ride so far has been 42 miles. Planning a metric century for September. I've read posts where people have happily ridden sportives on an Allez - 100+ miles.

Before I bought the bike I was thinking about all sorts of upgrades, but now I have it I find everything is fine for my fitness/recreation rides, except the usual upgrade to clipless pedals and add-ons such as bottle cages - this cage (in black) would look very nice on your new Allez:

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=10911

New bikes always provide excellent therapy... however, just thought I would say, drop bars aside, isn't an Allez quite similar to a Sirrus? I would think that a Sirrus would do the job quite well as a fitness bike.
  • "This cage (in black) would look very nice on your new Allez"

That's what I have on my Allez, and it does match the gloss black bike colour perfectly.
    Performance aside the std 2007 Allez is a nice looking bike as well.

My Precious
  • hopeful
    Thanks, everyone, for your responses. Mr. Kawamura -- I guess you're right, maybe the Sirrus is indeed too close to the Allez to justify the expense! TomF -- four bikes -- that's STYLE.
  • hopeful
    Spent a nice Saturday morning yesterday in some bike shops. Looked at a Giant SCR3, a Trek 1000 and then headed for a look at the Allez. The Allez was where my heart was leading, but I wanted to check out bikes in similar price bands. I found myself having to stretch too far on the Allez, so went for the Dolce instead. It just felt so much more comfortable. Apparently, we women are weenier - torsos, hands, etc. So, from next week on, I'll be a 2 bike person.

Thanks.