helmet for a baby in a trailer?

combat_wombat
combat_wombat Posts: 2,188
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I have just got myself a trailer, for my little one.
She'll be given it when she's 1 in a months time.

I guess she should wear a helmet.
But no idea where to get one.
You see so many really poor fitting ones on kids, that don't look as if they'll be any good.

Will she need one in a trailer?
Surely the weight of it is just somthing extra to support + won't do her neck any good.

But I'll feel bad if she doesn't wear one. So I'm on the look out for one to fit a baby (in Hampshire)

Does anyone have any experiance of this?

Before our child we rode together a lot, but it's been a rarity recently. It may not be the same, but I can't wait till we can go riding as a family.

48/19 Winter : 105 Summer

Comments

• Rob_mcp
    Rob_mcp Posts: 297
    I did the same thinking about 2 years ago- we started our baby in a trailer at 9 months. In the end I decided that the helmet wasn't the answer - it would push his head forwards and be 'heavy' when he fell asleep and slumped forwards. Anyway strapped in, what was he going to hit his head on? So - no helmet. However He is now playing with a trike and a like-a-bike so we got a helmet at about 2 and a half and we got a Met kiddies one which seems to fit fine if I can keep him still long enough to fit it.

Definitely don't feel bad about it! And if you wear a helmet, when the time comes for helmet wearing it won't be a problem - I have some very funny photos of our boy wearing my wife's helmet!
  • craigwend
    craigwend Posts: 321
    For the same reasons as above - helmet too heavy for little head & most good trailers give more protection than a helmet.

Just started my 7 month old in the trailer and falls asleep on average within 1-2 miles.(So much safer in trailer, as floppy child not good on bike, 5 point harness very good!)

Applied the same with previous children(now 3 year olds), if on their own bikes or on back of the child seat thing they have a helmet.

Good 'resistance' training and for a long time the only way I got out on a bike.

Good luck & enjoy.

Space to rent '......................................................' reasonable offers only.

http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t6/craigwend
    There's always www.cyclechat.co.uk
  • jumbolugs
    jumbolugs Posts: 181
    Started my daughter in the trailer at 10 months. Bought a helmet straight away but only used it the first couple of times out because it seems like overkill - and as other people have said it would push her head forward and make her uncomfortable. I wouldn't bother with one
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    When you do decide to go for a helmet, make sure you get one with a dial ratchet that tightens a band around the head. I think most of them are like this these days.

Decathlon is a good place for kids' helmets.