Best recovery food and drink

jimmoffatt
jimmoffatt Posts: 57
edited June 2007 in Workshop
<font face="Arial"></font id="Arial"><font size="3"></font id="size3"><font color="blue"></font id="blue">I am sure that this has been asked many times before but I could not find under the search facility. What do you eat and drink as recovery after, say, a 3 hour hard training ride?

I am self employed and can sometimes get out during the day and have just got back from a 2« hour hard hilly ride (between 1pm and 3.30pm). I had a banana and a handful of semi dried apricots before I went ( and a big breakfast this morning but no lunch) and didn't eat or drink anything on the ride. Had a cheese sandwich, banana and a cup of tea when I got back but I am sure there must be something better? I am 6ft and 76kg (12 stone).

Jim

Comments

• Afterwards SIS REGO. Take within 30 minutes of then end of your rideand you'll be ready to go again by tomorrow.

Not just my opinion but this product is used by many who are sponsored by other names. ( a national football team springs to mind)
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    The Powerbar recovery drink is pretty good as well.

You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles
  • ASC1951
    ASC1951 Posts: 992
    I think there's a lot of twaddle talked about magic powders. Serious athletes are notoriously superstitious and gullible, but even if some particular potion is worthwhile for them, it's an irrelevance for the rest of us.

After a 3 hour fast ride all you really need to do is to restore your electrolytic balance and get a bit of carbohydrate in you. A sport medicine GP friend of mine reckons a pint of shandy (not beer) and a packet of crisps is close to ideal. Personally I go for 50-50 apple juice and water whizzed with a banana.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    After a long ride between 80-100 miles I use Rego. Not for any sports recovery but I dont just feel as tired at night after using it.

Brian B.
    Brian B.