Campag brake levers versus small hands

cq20
cq20 Posts: 207
edited June 2007 in Workshop
When I'm going fast(ish!) and downhill, I get best control of the bike by being on the drops. It is also the time that I need to get to the brakes quickly. So I've set my Campag brake/gear levers within reach of my short hands when I'm on the drops. So far, so good. But. in this position, the brake hoods now slope down so much that I can't use them for "normal" riding. If I make the hoods level, I can't reach the brake levers [:(]. I've tried ITM 330 anatomical and Bontrager Race X Lite VR (shallow-ish drop) handlebars and rotated the bars, moved the levers etc. but can't get a good compromise. Any suggestions for alternative handlebars?

By the way, would I have the same problem if I had a bike with Shimano STIs (I know the reach can be adjusted on some of these) because I might be able to do a swap when my son (normal sized hands) gets a new bike.

Comments

• BobbyB
    BobbyB Posts: 62
    I used 3TTT Morpheus Bars

http://www.3ttt.com/ing/curve_morpheus.htm

Did the job for me. And IMO campag levers much better for the small handed - I had real difficulties reaching around the bulbous sti hoods, switched to campag and much better.

Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now
    Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Campag levers are much better than Shimano for small hands. At least I find that to be the case.
    It would be worth looking at some different bars as BobbyB says. I use 3TTt Morphe.

You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles
  • AcademicX
    AcademicX Posts: 152
    I'd echo BobbyB's advice, go for 3TTT bars. I've got the Morpheus bars on my old Tifosi bike and the More carbon bars on my Wilier......both have a 77mm reach for the brake levers.
  • My SO uses Campagnolo Chorus ergos with 3T Eva bars and she's happy getting to the brakes both from the hoods and the drops.
    You can always black out the Eva bit if that concerns you
  • pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    As well as the very good 3T Morphe* bars, also consider bars from Deda and the like that are designed for women, whether you're male or female.

* Note that Morphe and Morpheous are two different models, with different shapes. Morphe are known for being good for small hands, especially with the smaller sizes - which have slightly different shapes.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Check out the reach measurements. I;'m looking at replacing my ITM 330's for the same reason. I'm looking at the Modolo womens model :)
    Campag levers are way better than Shimano for small hands. You can shim Shimano levers mind.
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    Thanks for the replies. The 3T web site has really good information. I'll get the tape measure out and do some checks before I fork out more dosh (including having to get a new 25.8mm stem!). It's useful to know that I'm not alone.