MTB Cassette - Road Derraileur ?

BobbyB
BobbyB Posts: 62
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I'm replacing the cassette on a Sora 8spd transmission hybrid. I've got a spare 8 speed cassette kicking about from my MTB. Anyone know if I'm going to have problems? what with the biggest sprocket being much bigger than normal road size (Rear mech is Sora Long cage) Thanks.

Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now
Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now

Comments

• sora long cage is the same as a mtb medium cage iirc

should be fine up to 28, maybe even 32

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • maddog_2cp
    maddog_2cp Posts: 73
    road mechs are only (officially) capable of 27t, <b>irrespective</b> of the length of the cage.

In practice you can usually get 28t without problems, and 30 isn't impossible on some frames.

But any more and you'll need a mtb mech.

<font size="1"><font color="purple">
    Drop bars are a historical accident...... discuss</font id="purple"></font id="size1">
    Drop bars are a historical accident...... discuss
  • dakidcp
    dakidcp Posts: 744
    My Tricross has an 11-34 rear cassette with Tiagra road-shifters (drop handlebars) and a Deore LX rear derailleur.

(If that helps at all)

<hr noshade size="1">"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
    <hr noshade size="1">"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
  • pictit
    pictit Posts: 603
    I am in the process of altering the gearing on my bike.Next week the LBS is putting an 11-32 cassette [presently 12-25] on my bike which is a 52/42/30 triple with 9 speed long cage 105 rear mech.We both realise it will restrict the large ring-largest 2 or 3 cogs and small ring-smallest 2/3 cogs and perhaps even middle chainring and biggest/smallest cogs.I seldom use the extremes of these combinations anyway and,as I am prepared to change the rear mech for an XT anyway,I am interested in finding out what is actually useable with the 105 rear!!.
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    The ability of the mech to take up chain is not the problem (or at least, not the main one), the thing that will cause problems is the guide jockey wheel hitting the larger sprockets. As stated above, don't expect anything over 27 to work, but you may be lucky.

---

If I had a baby elephant, I'd fit right in here.
  • Ahem!

I have a Tiagra rear mech on an 11-32 cassette. Trials riders often run Short cage road mechs with MTB Cassettes too.

<font size="1"><hr noshade size="1">
    <font color="red">My Photos</font id="red"> <font color="blue">My Inbred</font id="blue"> <font color="teal"></font id="teal">My Carrera Gryphon <font color="black">My Single Speed</font id="black"> <font color="green">TyMBR</font id="green">
    </font id="size1">
  • maddog_2cp
    maddog_2cp Posts: 73
    It can work this way but you often need the chain tension to be so high that it pulls the top jockey forwards, away from the sprocket. Which isn't very nice for the mech or drivetrain or shifting, in general.

Mechs are a doddle to swap over so it's hardly a bodge worth doing in practice. If you prefer a short cage then just get a short cage mtb mech.

<font size="1"><font color="purple">
    Drop bars are a historical accident...... discuss</font id="purple"></font id="size1">
    Drop bars are a historical accident...... discuss
  • hamstercp
    hamstercp Posts: 639
    Just remember to check that chain length so that it can engage the big-big combination.

"It must be true, I saw it on the Internet!"
    "It must be true, I saw it on the Internet!"