Fulcrum Rims, Conti Tires - Solution

il_principe
il_principe Posts: 9,155
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I know many people (myself included) have posted on here about the difficulties of fitting Continental tires to Fulcrum rims. I took delivery of a pair of new Continental Grand Prix 4000S' today and have just fitted them to my Fulcrum Zeroes replacing a pair of GP4000's. They were an absoulute doddle to fit, I didn't have to resort to levers at all and my thumbs aren't even slightly sore. I've always found fitting GP4000's be a total nightmare but for some reason the "S" version is just a pleasure to fit. Supposedly this version has 25% less rolling resistance compared to the GP4000's, I'll let you know if I notice any difference.

My Best Bike

Comments

• That's worth knowing - I like the Conti GP4000 but am still having therapy over the palaver of getting them onto my Fulcrum rims.
  • Usual drama is caused by the plastic rim strip (not on 1 or zero wheels) Remove this replace with cloth tape and can be done with your fingers
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • il_principe
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Down the Road</i>

Usual drama is caused by the plastic rim strip (not on 1 or zero wheels) Remove this replace with cloth tape and can be done with your fingers
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I own 1's and Zero's and it's a nightmare without tape...

My Best Bike
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    why or how does the tape affect putting on the tyres? I've just bought Racing 5s and put Michelin Pro race and they were hard to fit I had to use levers and even then it wasn't easy. I assumed it was because of a stiffer rim

as the bishop said to the .........

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • il_principe
    I think Fulcrum Wheels have slightly larger diameter rims than say Mavic do.

My Best Bike
  • I have the 7's and nearly killed myself trying to get Vittoria Rubinos on them. Just replaced them with Maxxis Columbiere and they went on pretty easy just using thumbs.
  • Fulcrum rims ARE a little higher. The plastic tape makes it harder to fit the second side. Can't really explain it but know from experience from fitting many tyres on these rims.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Just got rid of my lethal-no-grip-in-the-wet Conti GP4Seasons, finally decided to replace them with something else and so tried Pro Race 2's, expecting them to be easier to fit from what others had said on previous threads

Nope ! Just as bad...

Time to dig-out the Summer bike (why's it just started raining ? Is it something I said ?)
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andy_wrx</i>

<b>Just got rid of my lethal-no-grip-in-the-wet Conti GP4Seasons</b>, finally decided to replace them with something else and so tried Pro Race 2's, expecting them to be easier to fit from what others had said on previous threads

Shows just how subjective tyre preferences are - I found the GP4 Seasons tyre fantastic in the wet and only changed to the GP4000 after the 4 Seasons wore out and I fancied the sportier look of the GP4000.

Ho hum...
  • From all the comments on the forum, I expected to have a terrible time fitting some Conti GP4000 tyres (not the S version) to Fulcrum Racing 1
    wheels. Instead I found it to be really easy. I always had a terrible time getting them onto Campag Neutrons though [:(]
  • I've just rubbed the fingerprints off both hands putting a new pair of Vittoria Open Corsa Evo-KS clinchers onto a set of Campag Eurus.

I'm hoping that the tyres will "creep" slightly in the next few days now that they're sitting at 100psi.

If they don't and I puncture on the road, I'm screwed!
  • paulbricey
    paulbricey Posts: 84
    Just fitted Campag (Fulcrum is campag bits right ?) Khansim wheels to my sons Ribble to replace Mavic Open SUP Cds with Mitch Pro 2 tyres.....tried GP3000 and Ritchie tyres also but all are a major hassle to fit on Campag with final insult that inner tube always gets trapped when tyre finally goes on (so another 5 mins lever/persuading it back into the tyre)............nightmare of which I expect he will never be able to fix a puncture at Uni cos the tyre will be impossible to remove in the heat of a roadside flat...if Conti GP4000S go easy on Campag that's great news ......................but I expect to see raft of posts complaining that they fall off of Mavics when the wind blows !

Briceyinstockport
    Briceyinstockport
  • Freeza
    Freeza Posts: 128
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by potnoodle</i>

I have the 7's and nearly killed myself trying to get Vittoria Rubinos on them. Just replaced them with Maxxis Columbiere and they went on pretty easy just using thumbs.

Strange, I've got Fulcrum 7's with Rubino Pro's and they weren't especially difficult to fit. They almost went on with thumbs, only had to use the tyre lever on the last 2-3 inches.

<font size="1">--
    Ride or die</font id="size1">
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    4000-S - Awesome - Even more grip, better ride, poss. faster/lower rolling resistance - though this could be down to the different wheels and frame I have fitted them to.
    Not done enough rough miles to comment, however they seem to cut less too.
    Previous posts mention comparative ease of fitting too.

VAR tool from Bikeplus or SJS Cycles does it for me - light and small enough to carry on rides.
  • mode
    mode Posts: 1
    [:)]Campag rims have always had an ETRO that seems to be larger than most other brands, coupled together with Conti tyres and thing do get hard to fit. If the walls of the rim are just .5mm larger or heigher then this has a profound effect on fitting a tyre. I suggest that you consider using Maxxis tyres as they are a quality tyre well priced and easy to fit or remove in cold winter days.Never use levers to fit a tyre, try rubbing some soap on the last inchof the bead to assist you but never a lever.
  • Birillo
    Birillo Posts: 417
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Never use levers to fit a tyre, try rubbing some soap on the last inchof the bead to assist you but never a lever.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

So how do you get the tyre off ?