Orbea Marmolada or Bianchi Nirone??

Adrena1in
Adrena1in Posts: 2
edited October 2007 in Road beginners
Quick message...wanting a new bike fairly prompt and in local shops I've seen the Orbea Marmolada at œ799, and the Bianchi Nirone at œ530, so I've decided I'll probably get one. (Hopefully test-riding each later this week.) Don't know much about them to be honest, so was hoping to get some pros and cons for both from people who have or have owned one of these bikes.

Both have Campag, Orbea is a lot lighter and has carbon rear forks?, I believe. Other than that they're much of a muchness really. (Orbea looks nicer!) [:)]

Thanks.

Comments

• Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    The more money you spend the happier you will be!!!

SNAPS
  • Hi adrena i own a bianchi via nirone and ive not had any problems with it. carbon rear stays and carbon fork on the orbea probably would absorb a little more road shock but other than that i cant imagine there would be a whole lot of difference. if u spend œ530 you have more left over to upgrade later on if need be!
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Why the need to upgrade...buy the bike you like best (which is affordable) and then start saving for the bike you want most. Buy the bike then go out and enjoy it! I think upgrading on all but the best of frames is a waste of money in the longer term. You find that many people, no sooner than they have upgraded and have good components on a poorish frame (or vice versa), look to sell to finance the latest new bike!

This is my bike:
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure001.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure002.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure003.jpg
  • (Orbea looks nicer!)

The clincher there then surely?

d.j.
    "Like a true nature's child,
    We were born,
    Born to drink mild"
  • gbb
    gbb Posts: 1,240
    The main differences your'e going to get on the Orbea are the Campag Khamsin wheelset, and Mirage / Xenon mix groupset.
    To me, its not worth the extra œ250.
    The Via Nirone has a similar frame with carbon fork..i assume the Orbea hasnt a carbon rear...
    œ250 extra for the Khamsin wheels and Mirage/ Xenon mix....

Khamsin wheels are about œ90...you will probably get Bianchi Componenti wheels on the Nirone...a bit cheaper wheelset i would imagine, but they have lasted well on my Bianchi.

Ok, youre getting a mostly Mirage groupset..10 speed (minus the calipers etc)..but...

You say the Nirone for œ530...i assume thats the base model, but you can get the alum/carbon for œ749 from Evans
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=70788
    Carbon rear triangle, carbon fork, Veloce groupset...seems a much better deal than the Orbea. One downside though is i assume the Veloce is 2006, therefore 9 speed.

Chill out, fer Christsakes....

• acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Bianchi usually use Ambrosio and Miche wheels. They are not necessarily cheaper wheels than Khamsins....
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gbb</i>

One downside though is i assume the Veloce is 2006, therefore 9 speed.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

2006 Veloce is ten speed.

Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • gbb
    gbb Posts: 1,240
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Slow Down</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gbb</i>

One downside though is i assume the Veloce is 2006, therefore 9 speed.

<font color="red">2006 Veloce is ten speed.</font id="red">

There you go Adrena1in...its a win win situation [:D]

• ashbyalien
    ashbyalien Posts: 609
    orbea's are attractive bikes, and, the company is a co-op. and thats a good thing.

<font size="1"><font color="red">www.myspace.com/sfcv2</font id="red"></font id="size1">
  • Norvcp
    Norvcp Posts: 1,485
    Yeah but the Bianchi has that clunky nasty Campagnolo stuff on it. Surely that swings it in favour of the Orbea?

"Prejudice burns brighter when it's all we have to burn"

"Prejudice burns brighter when it\'s all we have to burn"
  • justyn_c_uk
    justyn_c_uk Posts: 126
    Get the Orbea. Feel the force.

'It's good enough for government work'
    Please look at my handmade cycling cufflinks
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    Orbea. Better VFM, and Bianchi have a habit of falling apart. (Says he, who is about to get his hands on a 1970s steel Bianchi for another 'project'. Ah, but they knew how to make a steel bike frame that lasted in those days, didn't they?)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I'm only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've had an Orbea Vitesse(around œ1500) for around 4 years now...never had one problem with it at all...the bikes just superbe, it handles / descends and feels great...very light light aswell..when I was going for my dream bike it was a no brainer...the new Orbea Orca...only had it 4 weeks now and its tremendous....don't know how there lower end bikes will be but think it should be great aswell, uptil now they are all handbuilt in Spain...the Technology and Engineering this Manufacturer puts into bikes is incredible...

The Bianchi also make good bikes...and if I had maybe started with a œ1500 Bianchi and upgraded to top end Bianchi then I'd maybe saying the opposite! Both got great names, but for me the Orbea feels like a very special bike....and you get lots for the money.
  • Hi,

Just noticed this thread, as I'm in the market for a new bike and the Orbea Marmolada was recommended by my local bike shop. I haven't done any riding for too many years. The nicest bike I had, over 20 years ago, was a Raleigh Competition. I really enjoyed riding it, but alas, it was stolen and I never replaced it.

I have several questions about the Orbeas and current bikes in general. First a bit about my intended use for the bike. I'm planning on using the bike for general daily exercise. I live in El Paso, TX (it's located in the tail end of the Rockies), so the grades can be fairly steep. I expect I'll be able to ride year round. I would like something that is comfortable, but also reasonably responsive (I don't want a comfort bike). The roads aren't the best, but are OK. I might join a bike group at a later date, but I'm looking at this as more of a recreational activity.

Will the Orbea Marmolada last, relative to other bikes in this category? The one I road tested had a carbon rear triangle and fork and seemed to be smoother than another Orbea they had that only had a carbon seat stay and fork. Is carbon that important, or was I imagining the difference? Would I be better off with a full carbon frame, something like a Raleigh Supercourse (I had one of these many years ago when it was an aluminum frame and liked it, not as much as the Competition though)? I liked the Campy gear on the Orbea, is Campy as good as it used to be? Any other suggestions regarding picking a good bike in the $1500 range?

Thanks for your help,
    -- Bill
  • gpw
    gpw Posts: 42
    Hi

I got the Marmolada about 2 months ago from LBS at £799 and not looked back since, its a great ride, well worth the extra money IMO. My son got a Scott speedster for £499 and to be honest you can tell the difference......
    Don\'t wait for your ship to come in... Swim out to it.
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    I got my bike through the cycle to work scheme and looked at a Bianchi Nirone but wasn't completely convinced. Found out about the Orbea Aspin (different frame but same components as the Marmolada) and it is a fantastic bike.

Went to see where the Orbea factory is when we were over in Spain and it was a nice feeling to know that you are supporting a cooperative.

Really good bike to ride and copes with all conditions from poorly surfaced roads to descending at well over 40.
  • Thanks GPW for your comments. Happy riding.

-- Bill
  • Thanks Ian for your information. I believe that I'll be dealing with some poorly surfaced roads here in El Paso. We also have some pretty healthy changes in elevation so the Orbea should be helpful in that regard too.

-- Bill