wimped out

comsense
comsense Posts: 245
edited December 1969 in Commuting chat
Got into work this morning and someone had jammed their brand new shiny electric bike into the rack on top of my locks. Locks were really hard to remove from under this monster. I got narked and let the air out of the front tyre. Two hours went by and I felt guilty. Out with the mini pump and a good 10 minute workout to inflate the monster tyre. Now I can't make up my mind whether I should have left it flat.

Comments

• chuckles
    chuckles Posts: 44
    You needn't have bothered, when you start one of those up they automatically inflate the tyres to the correct pressure.

Chuckles
    Chuckles
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Just wrap your locks rond his bike.

Baby elephants? Pah!!
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chuckles</i>

You needn't have bothered, when you start one of those up they automatically inflate the tyres to the correct pressure.

Chuckles
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

LOL. I hope you are joking!!

SNAPS
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    Although it's convenient to leave locks on the rack it's the same as putting a cone in a car parking space. It isn't really yours and you've no right to get upset when somebody else uses it. It would have been wrong not to go back and reinflate the tyre, irritating though it may be.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • comsense
    comsense Posts: 245
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Garybee</i>

Although it's convenient to leave locks on the rack it's the same as putting a cone in a car parking space. It isn't really yours and you've no right to get upset when somebody else uses it.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I wasn't annoyed that he took the space - just that he went to such effort to jam the wheel down on the locks and the effort it took me to get the locks out. He could have moved the locks and still locked his machine there or simply chose a free space.
  • Gary R
    Gary R Posts: 480
    my mate left his bike at the train station & on his return found someone had chained their bike through his frame so he couldnt get his bike out!!!!he let down the the tyre!!

Champagne tastes,Lemonade pockets
    Champagne tastes,Lemonade pockets
  • phil_ss1
    phil_ss1 Posts: 194
    This happened to me too as I left bang on time to get to the dentist.

Site Security (I work at a very large company with it's own plod) would not let me bolt cropper the lock off! Miserable 8uggers, that would have tought him/her a lesson.

Had to get my boss to run me home, left a snotty note on the bike!

Mates said to do them same but not use my bike for a week or use an old lock to lock the cuplrits bike up and deny all knowledge...

Shortly after that I had my cycle computer "stolen", reported it to site plod but then found it thrown down the bike shed - t0sser!

P
  • You've either got to be prepared to escalate it to the very top (bending of frame, physical confrontation) or just let it drop.

If someone at my place of work locked their bike through my frame, I would use my spare lock to secure their front wheel to the stand. I would leave a message with reception, so that if they had any enquiries, they would already know what the problem was and would give the culprit my mobile number. I would arrange a time for the following day to release both bikes.

There's no other option. I have to ensure that I identify the culprit so that if anything else strange happens, I know who to call.

In the case described here though, I would have left their bike alone but ensured that my locks are out of the way for next time. In fact, I do this already. My hefty chain lock gets put around a large circular pipe at the back of the bike shed when I take my bike away.

Hmm?