Londonites: Royal Parks Crackdown Warning

Regulator
Regulator Posts: 417
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
Just to let those of you who cycle through Admiralty Arch know that the police have been asked by the Royal Parks to crack down on cyclists using the pavement under the Arch. At present they are only warning cyclists - in the next day or so they will start issuing fixed penalty notices.

There is a potential defence, however. The map issued by Royal Parks itself is very unclear, with the blue 'square dotted' line for shared cycle/pedestrian facilities looking almost identical to the blue 'round dotted' line marking the Jubilee walkway. Even when the map is printed off in high resolution colour, the two paths look the same (and indeed share the same route for much of their length). However, the police are aware of the map's shortcomings and I understand they will be asking the Royal Parks to amend the map.

The police are also doing a survey of cyclists at the moment, asking about cycling blackspots and when you last read the Highway Code. They seemed a bit surprised when I said I last read it last week Grin. They don't seem to be aware of the campaign in relation to the proposed changes - but can we really expect the capital's finest to keep up to date with current events... [:D]

Comments

• joebe
    joebe Posts: 333
    Pity they don't focus on the cars/vans etc jumping the red lights on Trafalgar Square or the mopeds sitting in the ASL

<hr noshade size="1">
    <center>
    <i><b><font size="3"><font color="violet">
    pink is the new black</font id="violet">
    </i></b></font id="size3">
    <font color="red"><font size="2">Doris hanging out by the river </font id="red"></font id="size2"></center>
    pink is the new black
    Doris hanging out by the river
  • Regulator
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by joebe</i>

Pity they don't focus on the cars/vans etc jumping the red lights on Trafalgar Square or the mopeds sitting in the ASL

<hr noshade size="1">
    <center>
    <i><b><font size="3"><font color="violet">
    pink is the new black</font id="violet">
    </i></b></font id="size3">
    <font color="red"><font size="2">Doris hanging out by the river </font id="red"></font id="size2"></center>
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I said exactly the same thing to them, when I stopped to find out what they were up to, which they smiled knowingly at and explained that the Royal Parks had only asked them to stop the cyclists. However, it appears that there is a clampdown on ASL hoggers coming up over the next few weeks.

• This has been threatened for some time. I was talking to a bloke from Royal Parks in February and he said they were in the process of getting the police to start ticketing. Riding through Hyde Park (i.e. not on the cycle paths) will also be targeted.
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    The restrictions on cycling have actually always annoyed me in Hyde Park. Parks and cycling always go hand in hand don't they?

SNAPS
  • Totalnewbie
    Totalnewbie Posts: 932
    I avoid the arch by stopping before it and carrying my bike up the stairs then walking to Cockspur st where I get back on in order to turn right onto Pall Mall East...means I avoid the the lights altogether as I'd be turning left anyway. I used to walk my bike through the ped bit of the arch but kept getting ding dinged out of the way by cyclists riding though.

I read on the Westminster Cycling Campaign news page that there were plans to put a cycle path going through the arch?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/ ... 400572.jpg
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    should we really be encouraging cyclists to look for loopholes to avoid a ticket if they are breaking the law?

I'm sure none of us would agree with car drivers using loopholes to get off when caught on a speeding camera.

Hyprocites? Us?
  • Regulator
    Its not a loophole as such - its a defence. Royal Parks appear to be saying you can cycle there. If that's not what they're saying then they should make it clear.

• paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    with you now. If we can cycle there then lets have a mass cycle+ meet there
  • Wogan
    Wogan Posts: 203
    There was a policeman with a radar gun by Ham Gate in Richmond Park this afternoon, pointing up the hill. Wonder if he caught any cyclists?

<font size="1">Kenny Everett bent my wand :(</font id="size1">
    <font>Hemingway Soapbags</font>
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wogan</i>

There was a policeman with a radar gun by Ham Gate in Richmond Park this afternoon, pointing up the hill. Wonder if he caught any cyclists?

<font size="1">Kenny Everett bent my wand :(</font id="size1">

rumours have it they are specifically looking for cyclists again [:(!]

<hr noshade size="1">
    'Cause I'm a lover not a fighter
    Yes, I'm a lover not a fighter
    Yes, I'm a lover not a fighter
    And I'm really built for speed
    Built for speed
  • Wogan
    Wogan Posts: 203
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wogan</i>

There was a policeman with a radar gun by Ham Gate in Richmond Park this afternoon, pointing up the hill. Wonder if he caught any cyclists?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gavin Gilbert</i>
    rumours have it they are specifically looking for cyclists again [:(!]
    What?! That's ludicrous! I've lost count of the number of times I've been dangerously overtaken by cars on the way down to Ham Gate.

There was even some numpty drivers crossing the double white lines on that steep hill near Kingston Gate. Loads of cyclists had to swerve to avoid d1ckhead drivers on the wrong side of the road.

The Parks and police really have their priorities screwed up.
    <font>Hemingway Soapbags</font>