Lost my rag!

Giggery Pokery
Giggery Pokery Posts: 224
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
I had a near miss on the way home last night while riding in the left hand lane of the A45 Coventry rd on the way in to Brum. Basically I had entered the road at a 4 way junction turning right and from the right hand lane filtered in to the left hand lane. A taxi that was behind me followed round and and stayed in the right hand lane and passed me on my right but still in the right hand lane.

Shortly after the right hand turn is a right hand exit on to a side road, and at this point, having only just passed me the taxi decided to cut across my lane and exit, clipping my front wheel and sending me flying.[:(]

Picked myself up, looked at bike..ok...looked at myself...relatively ok apart from my arse hanging out of my bibs...and then I lost my rag!

[V]I'm ashamed to say that I went absolutely bollock screamingly mad, went round to the drivers open window, grabbed keys from ignition and hurled them across three lanes of the A45 and in to the allotments, all of the magnetic adverts came off and went flying, grabbed his taxi license and took that, and all of this was done whilst hurling a massively gutterlike stream of abuse.

To be honest the bloke was scared ****less, begging for forgiveness and cowering like a kicked dog. Whilst at the time I felt very very justified in my actions I now feel utterly embarrassed and shame faced and my only justification is that Mrs GP being up the duff with our first and rather expensive IVF failure naturally conceived baby I'm a tad conscious of what I might be missing out on should I get whupped my an idiot in a car not taking care to notice what's going on around them.

Not a good example I know...but in 5 years of commuting this is a first for me.

Taxi drivers excuse...I shouldn't overtake on the left????????? I bloody wasn't! I was in the left lane and he had overtaken me on the right and turned left across my lane without giving me and space at all! Fortunately it's all on CCTV as it happened outside my office and the passenger in the taxi....a member of my staff[:I], so I'm off to the fuzz in a mo as I have this blokes license and the tape is in my hand [}:)]

The Axles of Evil!
The Axles of Evil!

Comments

• Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    They'll probably try and do you for theft of keys, taxi license and anti social behaviour!![:D]

SNAPS
  • Be prepared to stand up and take any backlash that comes your way for the way that you acted, you behaved in an abusive and threatening manner - you will be on CCTV too.

I'm not saying the taxi is in the right, <u>hell no</u>, but just that it could (and IMO, should) come back at you a little bit.

Best of luck with the Police.

• The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    You might feel ashamed now, but you can be pretty confident in the knowledge that you've increased the number of drivers who always make damn sure they watch out for cyclists by one.
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    Don't be ashamed at all mate. That's a perfectly reasonable response to being knocked off your bike by an idiot who thinks it is ok to shove you out the way with his car.

If you were to respond like for like then you would have to drag him out of his car and throw him down on the road. That would be roughly the equivalent of what he did. To remove his keys and throw them away is quite a pleasant response to an assault in my opinion.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • chuckles
    chuckles Posts: 44
    I don't think you behaved particularly disproportionally considering the circumstances. You would have had adrenaline pouring from every gland in your body. Just make sure you point this out to the coppers and are totally up front with them.

Edit: Congratulations by the way. Do you know if it is a B or G?
    [:D]

Chuckles
    Chuckles
  • be prepared to appologise for the throwing of keys etc stating being scared you could have just been killed leaving your mrs as a single widdowed mother.

all the best with everything.

was this the turning at the 'phantom coach' pub near warwick uni / canley cremetorium?
  • Medals
    Medals Posts: 44
    Nice one GP. He'll think twice about cutting up a cyclist in future. Seeing as he wiped you all over the road I think your actions were understandable. Yeah, you might get a slap on the wrist. But so what, he could've killed you.
  • njc97
    njc97 Posts: 184
    Your behaviour was clearly OTT from a clearminded viewpoint now, but at the time, having just been knocked off, I think shock excuses a great deal. And you stopped short of violence, so if I was you I wouldn't worry about it.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Don't forget you didn't intend to permanently deprive him of his keys/car, only to temporarily delay him so that he wouldn't again use his car as a weapon with which to take your life.

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • Regulator
    Regulator Posts: 417
    I'd suggest you admit you did wrong but that you argue it was the effects shock combined with your wife's condition.

• giggery don't worry about it whats done is done, every man has it in them when under real moments of stress and danger to completely go spastic, you're very lucky to have been able to get up my last knock down was nasty, got re-built with titanium plates and bolts...but you're damn sure i wanted to have unleashed fury on the wan**r had i not been a mess on the road.

dangerous jules.
    god bless those pagans!
    dangerous jules.
  • helz
    helz Posts: 406
    Congratulations on your wife's pregnancy! Hope it all goes well. And don't worry about losing your rag with the idiot taxi driver who knocked you off your bike. I don't think I'd be able to respond calmly if someone did that to me either and the driver is very lucky that you didn't resort to violence like many people would have.

*)
    `. .*) .*)
    (. (.
    <i>Cycle commuting since September 2005</i>
    *´¨)
    `.·´ .·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
    (¸.·´ (¸.·´
    Power to the pedal
  • ed_m
    ed_m Posts: 131
    link to location map please?
    i know the a45 quite well but cant picture the section you mean.

<center><font color="blue"><font size="1">____________________
    www.ultrarunner.co.uk
    </font id="size1"></font id="blue"></center>
    <center><font color="blue"><font size="1">____________________
    www.ultrarunner.co.uk
    </font id="size1"></font id="blue"></center>
  • joebe
    joebe Posts: 333
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BentMikey</i>

Don't forget you didn't intend to permanently deprive him of his keys/car, only to temporarily delay him so that he wouldn't again use his car as a weapon with which to take your life.

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

[:D]
    Don't feel sorry, Someone trying to kill you can have that effect on people.

Enjoy the Baby, mine have made me smile and laugh everyday.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <center>
    <i><b><font size="3"><font color="violet">
    pink is the new black</font id="violet">
    </i></b></font id="size3">
    <font color="red"><font size="2">Doris hanging out by the river </font id="red"></font id="size2"></center>
    pink is the new black
    Doris hanging out by the river
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I'm a pretty calm guy, even when I encounter terrible driving I find it hard to muster much more than a shake of my head. I once fell off my bike while trying to get out of the way of a driver who'd just come round a corner on my side of the road (if I hadn't fallen he'd have hit me). I have never been so angry in my life, I was absolutely enraged. The guy stopped and got out of his car. I marched up to him dragging my bike behind me, screaming at him and jabbing my finger at him, he was absolutely ashen faced. I managed to calm down at this point and didn't attack him or anything, but the urge to plant one on him was huge.

I think your reaction is fairly understandable all things considered. Glad to hear you made it home with no major injuries, hope the police are understanding.
  • Don't forget to keep us updated Giggery.

• ChrisKH
    ChrisKH Posts: 1,717
    For the third time in a week I was put in danger by a driver last night. After a long tailback of traffic, with an impatient car behind me, I pulled out slightly to avoid a monster drain and the bloke behind lent on his horn. He then pulled out giving about a foot of room and then pulled in to force me to the pavement before accelerating away. He was shouting and swearing. I took his number but haven't done anything, but I was livid. Hate to think what I would have done if he had stopped.

Baby elephants are so last year, darling.
    Baby elephants are so last year, darling.
  • http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=b26+3rz&ie=UTF8&ll=52.451642,-1.764443&spn=0.006408,0.014462&z=16&om=1

Taxi was turning off Coventry road and on to Glencroft rd and I had crossed both north and south lanes of the DC coming from the right hand side of the Cov Road filtering in to the left hand lane, taxi followed round and filtered in to right hand lane and then almost immediately turned left across me.

Thanks all for the congrats on the baby, no we have no idea if it's a B or a G as it was such a surprise to be pregnant after all the guff we had to go through with IVF/ICSI and the many failures that we thought that the whole thing should be a surprise.

Have just come back from the Cop Shop - they were excellent, PNC check shows taxi is not insured or taxed so they are going to visit Crown cars shortly. They took a full statement and will be taking one from my staff member who was the passenger and said that the CCTV was good evidence of driving without due care and attention.

I explained in full what was going on in the CCTV images, and my actions (god I am so ashamed now) and...they laughed, said that lobbing the keys was hilarious and as the taxi driver obviously got them back no harm done there, and as I didn't actually thump the driver, merely froth with anger all over him no harm done there either.

The Police will let me know what is going to happen in more detail later but suffice to say there will be a charge for the insurance and tax at the very least and I should expect a charge for the dangerous driving too but that may take a while to be processed.

The Axles of Evil!
    The Axles of Evil!
  • Norvcp
    Norvcp Posts: 1,485
    This is a fastastic thread, I was laughing out loud when reading the original post! You've done British cyclists proud mate!

"Prejudice burns brighter when it's all we have to burn"

"Prejudice burns brighter when it\'s all we have to burn"
  • Crooky
    Crooky Posts: 604
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Giggery Pokery</i>

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=b26+3rz&ie=UTF8&ll=52.451642,-1.764443&spn=0.006408,0.014462&z=16&om=1

Taxi was turning off Coventry road and on to Glencroft rd and I had crossed both north and south lanes of the DC coming from the right hand side of the Cov Road filtering in to the left hand lane, taxi followed round and filtered in to right hand lane and then almost immediately turned left across me.

Thanks all for the congrats on the baby, no we have no idea if it's a B or a G as it was such a surprise to be pregnant after all the guff we had to go through with IVF/ICSI and the many failures that we thought that the whole thing should be a surprise.

Have just come back from the Cop Shop - they were excellent, PNC check shows taxi is not insured or taxed so they are going to visit Crown cars shortly. They took a full statement and will be taking one from my staff member who was the passenger and said that the CCTV was good evidence of driving without due care and attention.

I explained in full what was going on in the CCTV images, and my actions (god I am so ashamed now) and...they laughed, said that lobbing the keys was hilarious and as the taxi driver obviously got them back no harm done there, and as I didn't actually thump the driver, merely froth with anger all over him no harm done there either.

The Police will let me know what is going to happen in more detail later but suffice to say there will be a charge for the insurance and tax at the very least and I should expect a charge for the dangerous driving too but that may take a while to be processed.

The Axles of Evil!

Well done GP. Both on the baby and your actions to the cabby. Don't beat yourself up over it when our lives are put at risk we all react in very different ways.
  • Medals
    Medals Posts: 44
    The barsteward was uninsured, untaxed and carrying fare paying passengers! What a knob. I HATE uninsured drivers, scum of the earth.
    Last thing you want to be, is ashamed GP. You've potentially saved a lot of hassle for other people unfortuate enough to cross this individuals path.
  • Excellent result Giggery! Take the irresponsible, law breaking SOAB for all he is worth - as he nearly did to you.

(Slight shift of direction from earlier post, but I have <u>no</u> sympathy for irresponsible uninsured dangerous drivers.)

Having had a close friend run over and killed in a hit and run by an uninsured driver who was also serving a driving ban, kind of changes your opinion of irresponsible drivers. The ruling was a pure sick and twisted joke, and in no way reflected the crime.

<i>Crimes</i>
    - 46mph in 30mph zone
    - Driving without lights at 0300
    - Runs red light
    - Hits my friend, who is using the light controlled ped crossing
    - Leaves the scene. Without even calling an ambulance
    - No UK drivers licence
    - No insurance
    - Driving whilst serving a ban
    - Car had no MOT
    - 3 tyres below tread depth
    - Driving whilst not wearing glasses

<i>"Punishment"</i>
    - œ1000 fine
    - Driving ban of 5 years
    - 120 days "community service"

I would barely have been satisfied by liquidation of his assets and immidiate deportation, after all, he wasn't even a full citizen yet.

Jacomus

• chuckles
    chuckles Posts: 44
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jacomus-rides-Gen</i>

Excellent result Giggery! Take the irresponsible, law breaking SOAB for all he is worth - as he nearly did to you.

(Slight shift of direction from earlier post, but I have <u>no</u> sympathy for irresponsible uninsured dangerous drivers.)

Having had a close friend run over and killed in a hit and run by an uninsured driver who was also serving a driving ban, kind of changes your opinion of irresponsible drivers. The ruling was a pure sick and twisted joke, and in no way reflected the crime.

<i>Crimes</i>
    - 46mph in 30mph zone
    - Driving without lights at 0300
    - Runs red light
    - Hits my friend, who is using the light controlled ped crossing
    - Leaves the scene. Without even calling an ambulance
    - No UK drivers licence
    - No insurance
    - Driving whilst serving a ban
    - Car had no MOT
    - 3 tyres below tread depth
    - Driving whilst not wearing glasses

<i>"Punishment"</i>
    - ‹¨«1000 fine
    - Driving ban of 5 years
    - 120 days "community service"

I would barely have been satisfied by liquidation of his assets and immidiate deportation, after all, he wasn't even a full citizen yet.

Jacomus

Sounds fair to me really. It was only an 'accident' after all!!! [:(!][:(!][:(!]

Chuckles
    Chuckles
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Jac,

that is an outrage

did the Judge explain why he didn't jail the bastard?
  • pzycoman
    pzycoman Posts: 285
    A cyclist friend of mine was hit by a car, who after he stopped, got back in his car, ran over his bike, then got out and kicked the cyclist a few times in the stomach then drove off. In court, he said it was all accidental, and the courts believed him, and only gave him 6 points!
    Professional Kitten Huffer
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    If he's uninsured use the Motor Inurers Bureau to claim for ALL your losses here... nice one m8...
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    GP your actions were fairly constrained considering the circumstances, you shouldn't beat your self up about it. Few drivers realise what it feels like when some stupid bastard nearly kills you, an experience all to familiar to regular cyclists. Anything that might make divers think twice has to be a good thing.

A hirsute Scotsman.

Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    don't worry about losing your rag, if you hadn't you would have been seething for days. hope this guy gets everything he deserves (although don't hold your breath) and congrats on the baby hun.

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Hairy Jock</i>
    GP your actions were fairly constrained considering the circumstances, you shouldn't beat your self up about it. Few drivers realise what it feels like when some stupid bastard nearly kills you, an experience all to familiar to regular cyclists. Anything that might make divers think twice has to be a good thing.

Surely it wouldn't effect the divers too?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Lamborghini 350gtv
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Hairy Jock</i>

Surely it wouldn't effect the divers too?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol

Dom, drivers don't often realise when they have had a near miss because they are surrounded by a big metal cage which gives them a false sense of security. It is that false sense of security that makes them do such stupid things in the first place.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.