Which Brooks?

Unknown
edited December 1969 in Workshop
I'm going to take the plunge with a Brooks but was wondering whether to go for a B17 Narrow, or save up for a Swift/Swallow? The latter might look a bit nicer, but are a lot more! Are you just paying for lightness?

Its largely for a 12 mile 17mph (on a good day) commute by the way...

Did you get planning permission for that sense of humour bypass?

Comments

• ASC1951
    ASC1951 Posts: 992
    I have both and have found the Swift more comfortable - in fact I don't use the B17 much any more - but the B17 is a lot more robust and I'm sure it would outlast the Swift.

I don't mind forking out for a saddle. For me, it's the most important thing on the bike; and even the Ti Swift is only the price of a chainset but lasts three times as long.
  • GaryGkn
    GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
    I have a B17 narrow and a B15 and a Swift but I have not fitted or tried the Swift yet. I can say that Brooks are very comfortable especially on long rides.
  • sjcpcp
    sjcpcp Posts: 604
    The B17 Narrow can be a harsh introduction into the world of Brooks saddles, as it's the hardest saddle they make.
    If you don't want to pay for a Swift the Team Pro is a good compromise. It costs around œ50, is more comfortable than the B17N, and is suitable for all types of riding.
    If you've ever ridden a Rolls saddle then it is very similar in shape.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    My B17N feels pretty comfy.

The Swifts and Swallows look nicer though, i.e. better finihsing, shaping, rivets. However the B17N is still a nice saddle in my opinion.
  • GaryGkn
    GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
    Actually I have a Team Pro on a track frame and it is really nice. Less harsh than the B17. Nice copper rivets and no saddle loops.
  • foresthill
    foresthill Posts: 77
    Mine started life as a tan leather 'professional' and it's brilliant.

Slightly different to the B17 but still at that end of the cost range.

œ40 from Bike plus in Croydon.

It was quite comfy from new, but I keep it waterproofed with some stuff my mum gave me for horse saddle leather.

I was worried about the rain getting at it and the tub they gave me wasn't stopping rain spots marking it.

So it's now a deep chesnut colour - not tan anymore, but seems to be water resistant and is now very comfortable.
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    another vote for the Team Pro
  • John77
    John77 Posts: 43
    Yep, one more vote for the Team Pro. My first Brooks was a standard B17 which I never actually found to be too firm, just the "hammock" effect made it feel like I was bouncing in the saddle. The Team Pro was comfy from the off. I use it on a 10-mile commute and have had no problems. Plus the big copper rivets look so good compared to the B17.
  • Team Pro it is then.

Cheers folks[:D]

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Calvjones</i>

Team Pro it is then.

Cheers folks[:D]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

It'll be nice to have an excuse to give ____ _______ [Paul_Smith!] some cash too - he's always helpful on here.

• Bugger and oops...œ100 on a black swift plus accoutrements[:I]...