Still struggling with some speed humps

Cab
Cab Posts: 770
edited December 1969 in Commuting chat
Theres a road I use every day, has speed humps all the way down it.

Now, the first stretch after one junction has two sets, well spaced out... And of course cars try to overtake there, and if they succeed they slow me down all the way along the rest of the road, usually braking hard (far too close in front of me) in the process at the first hump after overtaking.

Yeah, I know, they're in an overtaking manoevre so I'm meant to let them past, but that doesn't escuse them from overtaking and slowing right down, thats also against the rules.

Now, I've taken to riding right down the middle of this road. Can't take up any more road space in the run up to the first set of humps. They still try to overtake, and this morning while I was in this stupidly prominent primary position a guy came past within inches (had to, or he'd have been on the pavement opposite) and immediately swung back in, hitting his brakes, almost before he was past me. And then he proceded to crawl down the road, constantly slowed by the rest of the speed humps.

Irritating little stretch of road. I don't think I'm in any serious danger there, I'm aware of the hazards, but I don't like it.

Other than change my route, any suggestions?

<i>Free baby elephants for every citizen</i>
Vote Arch for Prime Minister

Comments

• Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    You could try cycling further out into the road, but as I've experienced in the past, you still get idiots who will try and undertake, almost unbelievable, but sadly true!!

I had the same problem last night, I had a guy trying to overtake on a road with speed humps, the only problem (which didn't bother him) was that there was a car about 4ft in front of me crawling along, so even if I had let him overtake, where was he going to go!!!

SNAPS
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    Only advice I can offer is not to let it get to you and just accept that this is going to happen so try not to put yourself into danger by provoking drivers by being too assertive with your road positioning. I have found that people will often assume they are more important than you when driving cars and react as such. I have read anecdotal stories of people baiting cars going downhill on their commutes where they know there are speed cameras to try and get them caught for speeding by playing on the drivers sense of superiority.

If the road isn't very long then just prepare to have to slow down for the cars. Is it that much different from riding in heavy traffic in a town centre? I constantly find myself having to accelerate and brake riding through town traffic.

HTH

Tiny Pens
  • chuckles
    chuckles Posts: 44
    Hi There,

Don't wish to offend anyone but if you try to go a little faster then you wouldn't get these types of problems. I generally try to go at the predominant speed of the traffic while maintaining the primary position in any 'difficult' situation such as speed bumps, junctions etc.

Chuckles
    Chuckles
  • Eat My Dust
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chuckles</i>

Hi There,

Don't wish to offend anyone but if you try to go a little faster then you wouldn't get these types of problems. I generally try to go at the predominant speed of the traffic while maintaining the primary position in any 'difficult' situation such as speed bumps, junctions etc.

Chuckles
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I've found that the faster you cycle the faster they drive, even if you are doing over 30mph in 30 limit, they still seam to <i>need</i> to overtake. For what reason I don't know.

SNAPS
  • Small Fish
    Small Fish Posts: 84
    I don't think there is an answer - I used to go down a road with those 'cushion' humps, the ones like a square bump in the middle of the lane but not full width.

I had several near misses where cars sped up to overtake me then immediately slammed on the brakes and swerved left to try and get their wheels either side of the hump - almost sideswiping me off in the process.
  • Paps
    Paps Posts: 114
    I have the same problem near where I live.

I think it quite funny though when a car behind me revs the engine to speed up and then slow right down for the next bump.

To 'play the game' I overtake the driver and just speed my way over the bumps until the end of the road. To hear the driver getting frustrated behind because they have to slow down makes me laugh. At the end of the road I just wait at the lights for them. Great!

Take a painkiller, cycle on your bicycle and leave all this misery behind
    Be kind to your knees, you'll miss them when they're gone.
    Take a painkiller, cycle on your bicycle and leave all this misery behind
    Be kind to your knees, you\'ll miss them when they\'re gone.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I've had people attempt to over take me on the same set of speed bumps twice. Both in exactly the same place, and both backed out when they suddenly realised they were about to go over a speed bump on the wrong side of the road at over 25 miles an hour in a 20 zone. Both times the small risk to my safety was well worth it to see the looks on their faces as they slammed the brakes on!
  • Cab
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eat My Dust</i>

You could try cycling further out into the road, but as I've experienced in the past, you still get idiots who will try and undertake, almost unbelievable, but sadly true!!

I'm already on the white line, not a lot further out I can be :lol:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    I had the same problem last night, I had a guy trying to overtake on a road with speed humps, the only problem (which didn't bother him) was that there was a car about 4ft in front of me crawling along, so even if I had let him overtake, where was he going to go!!!

Ahh, yes, thats just irritating isn't it? Terrible roadcraft, to try to overtake into a gap that isn't there.

• Cab
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chuckles</i>

I get where you're coming from, but on that road surface, with those speed humps, with the hazards present there... Well, I'm already motoring along as fast as I dare.

• Cab
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tiny_pens</i>

Only advice I can offer is not to let it get to you and just accept that this is going to happen so try not to put yourself into danger by provoking drivers by being too assertive with your road positioning. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Generally I think thats good advice, but I've found on this road that I get silly overtaking manoevres maybe two days in five if I'm less assertive, and maybe one day in ten if I'm really assertive.

• Hold your right hand out in a stop sign at them. It should trigger their conditioned response to pause and re-asses the situation, by which time hopefully you will have moved close enoguh to the bump and they wont do it.

They will probably have a go at you at the lights, I usually say "Shall I call the Police and let them decide who is right?" They tend to be a bit confused and then back down with a few more muttered insults and insinuatinas about the nature of my relationship with my mother/sister/other family members. The one time a guy didn't back down I got my phone out and he sped off.

You do have a legitimate reason to call 999 and ask for the Police. They treatened you life by using their vehicle as an offensive weapon, and then proceeded to verbally threaten you, it is allways a good idea to say "Are you threatening me?" If they say "yes", then you should probably reach for your phone! Not many people will say yes, and from there they tend to have to back down somehow. Especially if you keep saying "It feels like you are threatening me." "Stop threatening me"

Also remember to position yourself by their drivers door so that if they move to get out you can stop them by closing the door

• Eat My Dust
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jacomus-rides-Gen</i>

Also remember to position yourself by their drivers door so that if they move to get out you can stop them by closing the door

Or wait until they have one foot out of the door and the slam it as hard as you can!![}:)]

SNAPS
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eat My Dust</i>

I've found that the faster you cycle the faster they drive, even if you are doing over 30mph in 30 limit, they still seam to <i>need</i> to overtake. For what reason I don't know.

This happened to me today. I was riding at about 25MPH with a blue van dangerously tailgating me for a couple of minutes. Engine revving he had to pass me at all costs. After a couple of failed attempts he eventually overtook me only to pull over and park 100 metres down the road.
    Are these people morons??

My Precious
  • as a car driver, if i see a cyclist doing 30 in a 30 zone, i'll sit a normal braking distance behind them and silently cheer them on only overtaking them when the limit changes or they tire and slow down (some big hills round where my parents live)

people just need to learn to drive / remove head from sphincter before driving.