What I Want From A GPS Thingy #2

WolfUK
WolfUK Posts: 24
edited June 2007 in Tour & expedition
Sorry to steal your subject line Waltho but I am also after some recommendations for a GPS device, albeit a simpler one. My requirements are:

1. Show me a route profile after I've finished a ride.
2. Works with a Mac.
3. The exported data can be used in third-party mapping software such as Google Maps to display the route graphically.

I already have a cycle computer so I am after something really basic that will just allow me to log my rides once they are complete. The Garmin Edge 205 looks like it might be what I am after but comments and suggestions would be most greatfully received.

Simon Wolf
Simon Wolf

Comments

• GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    I don't know about using it with a Mac, but my 305 does what you're asking for. I export to MotionBased, which has a lot of pretty good ways to view your data, and the base option is free. From there you can export as GPX or KML to view in Google Earth or other applications.
  • WolfUK
    Excellent, thanks George.

Simon Wolf
    Simon Wolf
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    I'm very interested in this post, as I'd quite like a GPS with the same abilities, although I was tempted by the 305 for heart rate functionality. I also use a mac and have heard that Garmin are compatible, but it's hard to be certain with these things, especially as most companies will just say that macs aren't supported to avoid any obligations.

---

If I had a baby elephant, I'd fit right in here.
  • WolfUK
    Simon, if it is any help I had a dig around on the Garmin site and on MacUpdate.com (search for Garmin) and it seems that they really are. I think that I'm going to go for the 205 which I will take with me on longer rides to compliment my cycle computer.

Simon Wolf
    Simon Wolf
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    Yep, Garmin do indeed appear to be 100% mac friendly, which is good. I've just e-mailed my LBS to get a price for the 305...

---

If I had a baby elephant, I'd fit right in here.
  • skookum
    skookum Posts: 4
    I'd be cautious. Garmin announced a year ago that they would be mac compatible by the end of 2006 but it didn't happen. As far as I can tell only some products are mac compatible at this point and from the garmin website I can't tell which ones are.

I know some, like Topo Canada, definitely are not.