Sustrans Route No 7 Blair Atholl to Kingussie

andhar the wheel
andhar the wheel Posts: 437
edited June 2007 in Tour & expedition
Hi there,
Does anyone have knowledge of the traffic free sections of the Sustrans route between Blair Atholl and Kingussie? Is it suitable for lightweight bikes with road tyres? Or if you were cycling this route on a road bike would you be better on the maind road?
regards

Andy
Andy

Comments

• The Roadster
    The Roadster Posts: 579
    The road (A9) is horrible the sustrans route makes use of disused sections of the old A9 and pretty good, sometimes surfaced tracks - should be OK on road tyres.
  • geocycle
    geocycle Posts: 202
    Definitely better on the sustrans route. There are some short gritted sections but most is on the old tarmac road. There are some irritating sections toward the top of Drumochter where the path rollercoaters to cross streams but it is a generally well-graded climb. In contrast the A9 seemed very busy indeed with more than usual amount of roadside debris. The path and the road are very close together in places so you can always change your mind.
  • The route is really good (compared to the thought of being on the A9). I followed it from just below Inverness down to Perth (or thereabouts) a couple of years ago. The Drumochter bits can be interesting, especially when you're shifting along a bit coming off it but overall it's really good.

Very nice, very tasteful
    You hear that? He's up there... mewing in the nerve centre of his evil empire. A ground rent increase here, a tax dodge there? he sticks his leg in the air, laughs his cat laugh... and dives back down to grooming his balls!
  • KeithG
    KeithG Posts: 1,010
    I'm a volunteer ranger for the section south of this and know this bit fairly well. I've done it many times on 23mm tyres and a steel road bike without too much problem. It is a bit bumpy around Drumochter and some of the traffic free sections are a little the worse for wear due to the winter frosts.
    Unfortunately, the sheep have learnt to walk over the cattle grids (they were built too shallow and their feet can touch the bottom) so some of the sections are gated but this is a nuisance and not a problem.
    I would totally not recommend the main road unless you go in the pre8am dawn or post 8pm dusk.
    Incidentally, the bar/cafe at Dalwhinnie in the big and only hotel is a reasonable cafe stop and the only one on this section apart from the huge retail experience at Bruar, a few miles norht of Blair Atholl.
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KeithG</i>
    ...apart from the huge retail experience at Bruar, a few miles norht of Blair Atholl.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

...which does have a large and very good cafe with a wide range of snacks and meals (he says having filled his tummy there on many occassions) [;)]
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Noodley</i>

...which does have a large and very good cafe with a wide range of snacks and meals (he says having filled his tummy there on many occassions) [;)]

If you are going to stop at the House of Bruar and you have a little time. I can recommend hiding the bike and taking a walk up to see the Falls of Bruar, they are well worth the time taken.

A hirsute Scotsman.

Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • jimstercp
    jimstercp Posts: 236
    Or if it's more hearty fare you're after you could try the "Motor Grill" at Ballinluig near Pitlochry- room for 25 long distance HGVs!

Free showers as well, like!
  • snorri
    snorri Posts: 2,981
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KeithG</i>

the huge retail experience at Bruar, a few miles norht of Blair Atholl.
    Avoid this place, they have no cycle stands, so presumably don't want trade from cyclists[}:)][}:)]
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by snorri</i>

the huge retail experience at Bruar, a few miles norht of Blair Atholl.
    Avoid this place, <b>they have no cycle stands</b>, so presumably don't want trade from cyclists[}:)][}:)]

If that were the rule then there would be many more hungry cyclists in Scotland [;)] - they have a wall don't they? what more do you need? [:D]
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by snorri</i>

Avoid this place, they have no cycle stands, so presumably don't want trade from cyclists[}:)][}:)]

Na just lean you bike against the windows[}:)][}:)]
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • Very much appreciate all your help on this, especially Keith G, fellow Sustrans ranger.
    Many thanks guys.

Andy
    Andy
  • PHcp
    PHcp Posts: 2,748
    If it's wet be careful on the bridges that cross the streams at the bottom of some of the slopes, they can be very slippery.
    Eateries - there's a fantastic fish and chip place in the park in Blair Atholl, it's in a trailer inside a log cabin. My opinion of it might be clouded by the fact the sun had just come out after a gruelling wet and windy day from Fort Augustus. But it's a meal I shan't forget.