Bike sizing for beginners?

Liam33
Liam33 Posts: 2
edited December 1969 in Road beginners
Hi I am looking at buying my first road bike, however as i am converting from mtb and all the sizings are different could anybody suggest what size frame is best for me, I am 181cm tall. I keep seeing inside leg measurements being mentioned too im not sure what mine is any idea how or where from and too I measure this from?

Bet this is a common question but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Liam

Comments

• The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    Probably a 56 or possibly even a 58. Go to a bike shop and try either of those.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    The only way to know for sure is to go to your local shop and try some.

They vary from make to make[V]

Richard

Best thing I ever bought for a bike?
    Padded shorts![:D]
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • 2191flint
    2191flint Posts: 803
    Hi,

do a search on - <u>www.bikefitting.com</u> find your nearest LBS that has the equipment, get along there and get measured,(œ35) they will then be able to point you in the direction of bikes that have a geometry that best suits your sizing, as all manufacturers have differing geometry on any given frame i.e. a Specialized bike in a 56 will be different from a Ridley or a Wilier in a 56. Hope this helps. IME the shop will deduct the cost of the measuring service from any subsequent bicycle purchase from them.[8D]

A turkey is just for Christmas, not for life.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
    Signature free - with immediate effect.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
  • Lots of recent discusion on this here and in Know How - try a quick search.

Just for a starting point - inside leg minus 10-11 inches equals seat tube centre to top (virtual if a sloping top tube) seems as good as any.

d.j.
    "Like a true nature's child,
    We were born,
    Born to drink mild"
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    A more critical dimension is length. Note the reach from your MTB saddle to bars. If this is a sporty cross-country style of MTB you can use this to set the reach from saddle to the brake levers. If yours is a more sedate leisure MTB then you may want it a little longer.
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    scroll down this page, it tells you how to size yourself for your new bike

http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/howtobuyabike.asp

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • Well...none of the C+ guide works for me! Nor does it seem to include reference to vertical difference between saddle and bar tops. If I met standover guide, in order to get saddle/bars near enough level, I'd have to have about 4" of stem/steerer showing.

d.j.
    "Like a true nature's child,
    We were born,
    Born to drink mild"