Seriously stuck saddle post

The good doctor
The good doctor Posts: 307
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Apart from the liberal application of WD40, what's the next step when trying tp loosen a seat post ?

thanks

Comments

• MabBee
    MabBee Posts: 40
    Depends on the frame material.

If you have a Ti frame, you can try filling the seat tube of the frame with caustic soda.

I assume you have tried clamping the seatpost in a vice, and trying to rotate the frame?

Sheldon Brown's website lists just about all of the methods.
  • Thanks MabBee, should have thought of this myself.Plenty of suggestions on what to do before resorthing to the hacksaw.

ta.
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Be careful if it's thin walled steel or aluminium tubing and trying to twist the post out - I've seen people tear the seat-tube on frames trying to twist the seatpost out!
  • Spinacilight
    Spinacilight Posts: 1,738
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MabBee</i>

I assume you have tried clamping the seatpost in a vice, and trying to rotate the frame?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That's how got mine sorted but it was 531 Super Tourist tubing so take Monty Dog's advice if it is a real lightweight.
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    See the front mech boss thread... use Argos in Bristol, cracking...
  • combat_wombat
    combat_wombat Posts: 2,188
    I'm sure Sheldon has the answer

http://sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

48/19 Winter : 105 Summer
  • Ok have been to Sheldon Brown and ended up going for the "last resort" after exhausting all the other options. I cut the seat post down to the required length and then made another cut across the post and attempted with the locking pliers to turn the post in on itself and out. The post must be aluminium as it's vey soft and chunks have "just" come apart. I don't have much left to work with but the post is coming away from the tube at the top so is it worth attempting to force someting between the psot and tube. Its all getting a bit messy and I'm habouring a nasty suspicion that I may be without a commuting bike very very soon.
    Vitesse where's the front mech boss thread ?
  • cyclingnut
    cyclingnut Posts: 752
    If all else fails cut flat what's left of the post and whack it down the seat tube with a large hammer and an appropiate drift (i.e. whatever comes to hand easiest). Think of it as extra weight training!