What difference does a wheel make!!!!

davey d
davey d Posts: 41
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Hi there
I have been lucky enough to have just recieved œ945 tax refund and was wondering what difference it would make if I bought a pair of campag bora wheels against the eurus wheels that are on my bike at the moment.
I have loved the look of the bora wheels for years but would like to also know they are going to improve my racing (4th cat)

Comments

• I like a nice shiny piece as much as the next man, but in this case I would say that it probably isn't going to make a great deal of difference to be honest. If you are serious about improving your racing then you may well be better spending the money on some proper coaching maybe, or maybe something like some eqipment like a decent HRM or power measuring device to go with it.

Sorry.

"The trouble is, all year I haven't had the ability to go faster than possible" - Chris Boardman.
  • Uzbek
    Uzbek Posts: 486
    New wheels made me go faster. However lets face it a) anything new makes me faster for a couple of rides and b) it is not as though the Eurus you have are total rubbish.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If North Yorks Council spent as much on the roads each year as I do on my bike then I could spend less on my bike...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If North Yorks Council spent as much on the roads each year as I do on my bike then I could spend less on my bike...
  • Phil Scp
    Phil Scp Posts: 2,525
    You would be stupid to risk Boras in a Cat 4 race, I'd invest in a coach instead
  • davey d
    davey d Posts: 41
    Thanks for the advise guess I was just spending because the money was there, vanity before sanity.I like the idea of getting some coaching I think thats where the moneys going
  • Phil Scp
    Phil Scp Posts: 2,525
    Alternatively, buy a Powertap and coach yourself using some of the books/training plans available on the net
  • snipz
    snipz Posts: 85
    I've just bought a pair of Boras and will be using them for sportives and the occasional trip to the shop for a pint of milk. For racing I'll stick to my Eurus...plenty good enough
  • Alternatively, you could send the money to me and I will reveal my special training secrets...

"The trouble is, all year I haven't had the ability to go faster than possible" - Chris Boardman.
  • 2191flint
    2191flint Posts: 803
    Or you could send the money to me, I'll buy the Boras, then see if you can catch me on your Eurus to get them back!LOL[:o)][;)][:D]

A turkey is just for Christmas, not for life.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
    Signature free - with immediate effect.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    buy the boras - you know you want them...

don't let this lot talk you out of them - they are only jealous and want you to remain slow

:-)
  • Wittgenstein
    Wittgenstein Posts: 158
    get a powertap or a coach or both.
    Eurus are good enough for Elites, so I wouldn't worry about them.
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    The benefits of aero wheels for 4th cat racing is minimal - you'll be riding in a bunch on a circuit and so unless you're doing some serious climbing, fast downhills or spending a lot of time off the front, then your Eurus will be plenty good enough. Also consider the impact of a crash on your precious wheels! Once you progress to even 3rd cat and start to ride longer, more varied circuits then you may want to consider a pair of aero wheels. That said, there's nothing like the noise and feeling of fast wheels to make you want to go fast as well as the 'he must be good with those wheels' psychology with you competitors - just make sure you have the legs to carry it off!