Which rear wheel?

Unknown
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Dear All,

I need a new rear wheel for the road bike, has to be a 9spd set up. Currently interested in the Mavic Aksium (œ55 from CRC) although it does say it's a 10sp, although I'm sure they come with a spacer to sort it out) On Wiggle the same wheel is œ68 [:0]

What wheel do you recommend in this price range? Also had a peek at the 105 from the big S.

Many thanks,

Rhys

Comments

• gvlieghe
    gvlieghe Posts: 42
    I've got Mavic Aksiums and am very happy with them. Great upgrade from cheapo wheels I had before, so I agree with every test I've seen says they ride like twice the money. Hubs are extremely smooth, much better than similarly priced Shimano. They are 9-10 speed, and come with a spacer which you just leave off if you have 10 speed.
  • photojonny
    photojonny Posts: 382
    Does the spacer(s) allow it to work with 8 speed as well? I may upgrade my wheel in the summer.

where there's two wheels, there's a way....

where there's two wheels, there's a way....
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Watch for 10 speed wheels. If they say 9/10, or 8/9/10, you'll be fine. Some Shimano uhbsets are 10 speed only because these cassettes have deeper splines; the deep splines are less likely to damage alloy cassette bodies.
    For the money, you should seriously consider Campagnolo wheels (Khamsin with Shimano HG body) or Fulcrum wheels. But for a rear, you should go stronger than the front. 32 spoke handbuilts (Sora on MA3) would be nice :) Much better looking too!