Pimp my Ride

JonBurns
JonBurns Posts: 212
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Hi guys,

My missus is buying me some new wheels for my birthday. I've looked at a few and narrowed it down to 2 sets. I thought I'd ask your comments about which wheels would look better on my Black Allez Sport.

The options are;
Mavic Aksium silver (seem to have a nice thick aero spoke)
Fulcrum 5 Evo Black (aero spokes possibly not as thick as the aksiums)
Fulcrum 5 evo Silver(as above)

I'm liking the idea of creating a Black/Red theme on the bike but I reckon spangly silver may look good .

(Sorry this is so shallow but I think both sets will be a good upgrade for my bikeso it's down to aesthetics)

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Go for the Fulcrum's in black, then wrap them in a pair of Red GP4000's! My Wilier is Red/Black themed with Red Fulcrum Racing zero's and Red GP4000's, although I'm upgrading to the new black GP4000S Black Chili tires this week - supposed to lower the rolling resistance by 26% on the standard GP4000's...

My Best Bike
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Don't listen to him!!

I've got silver Aksium's with yellow GP4000's. Look great. I'm even considering buying yellow bar tape to match the tyres, bling bling!!

SNAPS
  • TRcp
    TRcp Posts: 418
    Fulcrum 5's are lighter, if that is an issue (?)
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    Fulcrum 5's are a step up from the aksiums - the aksium is closer to the racing7's I would have thought - so in that group I'd go for the fulcrums.

Colour - hmm - well, personally I prefer silver wheels to black ones, but it's a very personal thing. get a colour scheme in your head and go for it.
  • JonBurns
    Right I think I'm going for my original choice of the Fulcrums in black (If they're good enough for Tom Boonene they're good enough for me. So with a pair of decent wheels I should also get some decent tyres so I'm gonna go for some Pro Race 2's (red of course).

Do inner tubes make a difference on the performance of a wheel and if so what's a good one to get that's not expensive?

Cheers,

P.S Jash I saw your bike a month or so ago when you got your Fulcrums, top marks.
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    I've got the fulcrum 5s; mine are silver with blue micheline pro race

but the wheels are great.

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    If you are serious about "pimping" your ride then get your name laser-etched onto the frame somewhere, or onto the brakes, or even a spoke on one of the wheels [:D]

<font size="1">
    What do I ride? Now that's an <b><font color="black">Enigma</b></font id="black"> </font id="size1">

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • JonBurns
    After seeing Curryinahurries sticker on his bike and seeing the latest post I would be tempted. I'm not quite there with completely tarting my bike up for the sake of it but any upgrades I do will be carefully thought out on making it look good.

Next might be a Toupe saddle in red with the matching bar tape :)
  • chuckles
    chuckles Posts: 44
    Hi,

No reason not to go for an aero deep section carbon wheel nowadays, some are amazing value and highly competitive on weight even compared to the lightest standard wheel. Check out these ProRace Oxenas at Pro Bike Kit for ¶œ490. They will do far more for your speed than standard wheels and make a delicious whooshing noise too!

Chuckles
    Chuckles
  • Clem
    Clem Posts: 546
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jashburnham</i>

Go for the Fulcrum's in black, then wrap them in a pair of Red GP4000's! My Wilier is Red/Black themed with Red Fulcrum Racing zero's and Red GP4000's, although I'm upgrading to the new black GP4000S Black Chili tires this week - supposed to lower the rolling resistance by 26% on the standard GP4000's...

My Best Bike
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Wow! Red spokes!!! How are the Black Chilis, by the way? I went for the 25C GP4000 Reflex tyres as they seemed a slightly better option for long distance stuff - the Chilis are cheaper from probikekit.com at the moment though.