Are recumbants?

Comments

• BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Hahahahaha! You'll never know, at least not until you try them.

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    on a serious note how can you see everything going on around you on the road when you are so much lower down than everything else?

http://img501.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bikeim9.jpg
  • jonpcp
    jonpcp Posts: 2,028
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spasypaddy</i>

on a serious note how can you see everything going on around you on the road when you are so much lower down than everything else?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Not a problem - you can see in front to avoid potholes even with a fairing, and you get a better "panorama" of the road in general, eg at night when you can see line the white stripes down the road really clearly. It takes a lot of effort to keep lifting up that heavy head of yours to look around!

My current height is about 50cm and that's unnecessarily high now so I'm getting something much lower soon - and when I tried it I was amazed that the visibility is excellent on this too.

<font size="1">Scenic commute!</font id="size1">

My baby elephant's got its first wobbly tusk!
    <font size="1">Scenic commute!</font id="size1">
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    Being low isn't an issue. The only thing I sometimes find, in suburban streets with lots of parked cars, is that my feet are sticking out of a turning before I can see if anything is coming. But it's rarely a big problem.

And its recumb<b>e</b>nts [;)]

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • TimothyO
    TimothyO Posts: 395
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arch</i>
    And its recumb<b>e</b>nts [;)]
    He could be talking about sleepy insects. [:D]

<hr noshade size="1">
    Yes, actually it is Rocket Science.
  • spasypaddy
    it is definitely something i would love to give a go at but i dont think id feel comfortable knowing that my face was at the same level as a set of car wheels!

• TimothyO
    TimothyO Posts: 395
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spasypaddy</i>

it is definitely something i would love to give a go at but i dont think id feel comfortable knowing that my face was at the same level as a set of car wheels!
    Generally you aren't that low down, you are much more likely to be at about the same level, or slightly higher than a car driver, depending on the design. Some recumbents, designed for out and out speed on a track, or otherwise not on public roads, may put your head in a position which is poorly suited to looking around at traffic, but any bike, trike etc aimed at the mass market (such as it is for recumbents) will have to be moderately practical for cycling in traffic, and you tend to have a lot less obstructions to your view than car drivers (unless it's a full faired recumbent, but it's rare to see those on the road, at least in the UK).

Like Arch said, occasionally you have to edge out carefuly at junctions with poor sight lines, but that can happen at junctions even when using an upright. As with any cycling, you have to use appropriate beahviour for the conditions.

<hr noshade size="1">
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    My Street Machine puts my head above most car drivers - does that make them too low to be safe?

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • spasypaddy
    im sorry cunobelin but ive never seen a recumbant on the road and have definitely never ridden one so im asking questions from assumptions i have made. i apologise for not knowing the height of each individual machine and for not knowing that your specific machine is actually taller than most normal car drivers

• ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    A Street Machine is a good one to try your first recumbent ride. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    Blimey paddy, you don't know how high they are, you don't know what they cost.. Have you ever actually seen one? Or is it just a word you heard somewhere...[;)]

Sorry, that's a bit harsh perhaps, but those of us who do have experience of them often get asked the same questions over and over, and after a while the desire to be helpful wears off and the sarcasm kicks in... Well, it does for me...

• BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    It's a bit like arriving at work in lycra and being asked by the non-cyclist "Oh, did you cycle in today then?". FFS!

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    im sweating like a pig in all the cycle gear and someone asks me if im starting or finishing work.

I mean how how many feking times?

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">
  • spasypaddy
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Had an interesting experience today.......

Stopped off in local hostelry on the way home tonight.

A chap at the bar commented on the Trike, and asked the logical questions.

Asked if he could take it for a trial around the car park.

After 2 minutes he was asking about price, availability and storage!

Concerns about visibility no longer evident.

Try one before you make up your mind!

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • I personally consider my vision supirior on my recumbents than my DFs. One of the reasons I bought a recumbents was so I could see stright ahead at the horison with my head in a comfortable relaxed position. I commute 25.6 miles daily on a recumbent (currently a Quest) mostly on A roads and would not go back to a DF for the commute.

There are some things money cannot buy, for everything else there is Mastercard.
    My piece of the Internet </font id="size1">