Forum home Road cycling forum Workshop

Did I just buy a Veloce Cassette

CoochcpCoochcp Posts: 131
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Just been to my LBS to get a Veloce 10spd cassette, they didn't have one in the box but had one in a bag with Veloce written on it. Thing is they don't say the groupset on them and on my last Veloce the spacers were alloy, the spacers on this one are plastic.

Is there anyway of knowing what cassette I've actually just bought??

Cheers

Posts

  • pbiggspbiggs Posts: 9,232
    I've had a similar <s>the same </s>thing as well after ordering two 10sp <s>Veloce</s> Centaur cassettes. Maybe one is older than the other and Campag switched from alloy to plastic spacers, or the other way round? I don't know. The plastic spacers are lighter.

    Mirage sprockets are galvanised, not chromed like Veloce.

    <i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • CoochcpCoochcp Posts: 131
    Is it right in saying galv is like a flat silver? and the chrome super shiny




    www.bhf.org.uk/sponsor/g
  • pbiggspbiggs Posts: 9,232
    Yes, although the difference is only realy obvious after they've been used a bit. The galv ones get dull and stained, whereas Veloce stay shiny.

    Sorry that doesn't help much.
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • pbiggspbiggs Posts: 9,232
    Sorry, my memory is playing up... it was two Centaur cassettes in my case, and only one of the spacers was different, strangely.

    Anyway, I've checked the catalogue to confirm that Mirage are galvanised and Veloce are chromed.
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • CoochcpCoochcp Posts: 131
    No that's fine cheers for that, be handy if they stamped some sort of ref on them.

    Never mind.




    www.bhf.org.uk/sponsor/g
  • jensjens Posts: 93
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pbiggs</i>

    Sorry, my memory is playing up... it was two Centaur cassettes in my case, and only one of the spacers was different, strangely.

    Anyway, I've checked the catalogue to confirm that Mirage are galvanised and Veloce are chromed.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    They changed one of the spacers last year to improve shifting with the older (wider) chains. I'm not sure that not having the new spacer makes a lot of difference with a thicker chain though.
  • Steve928Steve928 Posts: 314
    I wouldn't call Veloce 10s cassettes super shiny - they're a quite different finish to the Veloce 9s. It's as you say a sort of flat finish (the same as Centaur) - almost looks like anodised alu, though obviously it isn't..

    And yes the spacers are plastic. All black except for a translucent amber one somewhere in the middle.
  • 2191flint2191flint Posts: 803
    I'm a newcomer to the whole Campag thing, my new bike has a Centaur groupset, the cassette which is <u>presumably</u> Centaur has a mixture of plastic and alloy spacers, plus a funny looking translucent brown plastic spacer in the centre where the cogs increase slightly in size. Is THIS a Centaur cassette?

    My other bike had an Ultegra cassette which had all alloy spacers.

    Having now ridden both makes, I have to say I now know why Campag has such a loyal following[8D]

    A turkey is just for Christmas, not for life.


    Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
    Signature free - with immediate effect.


    Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
  • Bianchi BoyBianchi Boy Posts: 323
    I had a similar issues with my Bottom Bracket. I bought a new Veloce BB from my LBS. When I put it in I noticed to be better quality than the original. The end caps were alloy as opposed to steel. It's a square tapered BB.

    I'm wondering if they sold me a BB from the Centaur group, or if it was a Veloce, my original BB might have been of lower quality.


    Celeste is best

    http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z38/ ... ion002.jpg
    http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z38/ ... ion005.jpg
    http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z38/ ... ion006.jpg
    http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z38/ ... ion010.jpg
    http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z38/ ... ion012.jpg
  • pbiggspbiggs Posts: 9,232
    Square tapered Campag BB's go like this:

    SC-S aka Mirage = steel cups ("end caps"), solid steel axle

    AC-S aka Veloce = alloy cups, solid steel axle

    AC-H aka old Centaur = alloy cups, hollow steel axle

    New Centaur = similar to Chorus, lighter, different bearings, small alloy cups take a cassette tool, hollow steel axle

    <hr noshade size="1">Thanks for the info about the spacer, Jens.
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • Bianchi BoyBianchi Boy Posts: 323
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pbiggs</i>

    Square tapered Campag BB's go like this:

    SC-S aka Mirage = steel cups ("end caps"), solid steel axle

    AC-S aka Veloce = alloy cups, solid steel axle

    AC-H aka old Centaur = alloy cups, hollow steel axle

    New Centaur = similar to Chorus, lighter, different bearings, small alloy cups take a cassette tool, hollow steel axle

    <hr noshade size="1">Thanks for the info about the spacer, Jens.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

    Thanks for that. Seems they built it with a Mirage BB then. I know that somtimes when Bikes are built to a buget things like BB's and headsets can be down graded components.
    [:)]


    Celeste is best

    http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z38/ ... ion002.jpg
    http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z38/ ... ion005.jpg
    http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z38/ ... ion006.jpg
    http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z38/ ... ion010.jpg
    http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z38/ ... ion012.jpg
  • pbiggspbiggs Posts: 9,232
    ...Yeah, they think you won't notice [;)]
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • pbiggspbiggs Posts: 9,232
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by 2191flint</i>

    I'm a newcomer to the whole Campag thing, my new bike has a Centaur groupset, the cassette which is <u>presumably</u> Centaur has a mixture of plastic and alloy spacers, plus a funny looking translucent brown plastic spacer in the centre where the cogs increase slightly in size. Is THIS a Centaur cassette?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">It'll definitely be a Centaur if the two largest sprockets are joined together and the rest are loose, regardless of whether the funny looking spacer is plastic or alloy (see Jens' reply).
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • CoochcpCoochcp Posts: 131
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SteveN</i>

    I wouldn't call Veloce 10s cassettes super shiny - they're a quite different finish to the Veloce 9s. It's as you say a sort of flat finish (the same as Centaur) - almost looks like anodised alu, though obviously it isn't..

    And yes the spacers are plastic. All black except for a translucent amber one somewhere in the middle.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

    That sounds like what the one I got (fitted last night) black spacers with one translucent amber one. The one I took off had an anodized blue alloy and all the rest plastic, must admit I liked the blue, maybe I'm lazy but it was good for a quick glance down to see what gear I'm in, hopefully the amber will be just as good.

    Thanks for all that advice I'm quite happy now that I did get a Veloce.






    www.bhf.org.uk/sponsor/g
Sign In or Register to comment.