Spare tubes, pump and carbon frame

jimmoffatt
jimmoffatt Posts: 57
edited June 2007 in Workshop
<font face="Arial"></font id="Arial"><font size="3"></font id="size3"><font color="blue"></font id="blue">I have just bought a new Dolan Elio carbon frame with Record bits. Fantastic bike but how does everybody else with expensive carbon frames carry spare inner tubes and a pump when out training? I have a clip-on small pump which is ok but not brilliant but has anybody used the Fizik clip on bag for under the Arione saddle and is it any good? I do not want to wrap anything around my new carbon post.
Jim

Comments

• Your post will be fine. Why did you not speak to you dealer when he built if for you
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • wotbus@
    wotbus@ Posts: 301
    Cut the top off an old drink bottle (or a new one if worried about aesthetics [;)]), just below the shoulder.
    Stuff into the bottom bit your spare tubes - tyre levers - CO2 cartridges and connector etc. Push the bit you cut off down over your new plastic cylindrical toolbox - shake it to check for rattles - stuff in a bit of foam rubber on top if it does - slip it into your spare cage. [:)]
    What - you have only one cage [:0]
    Has to be a small under/rear saddle sack then, loads to choose from, or jersey rear pockets but think seriously about just what you would like stabbed into your kidneys in the event of a prang [:(]
    I have seen some short carbon pumps attached to the side of the bottle boss which still allows a bottle to be used as normal. Looked very neat but no idea what make/model/price etc.
  • wotbus@
    I have a nasty feeling I am about to receive flak 'cos everyone would rather be seen dead than be seen on a training run with two bottles [xx(]
    Ahhh well, just trying to help [|)]
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Just buy a saddle bag - I use a Specialized mini-wedgie - it has velcro straps so no damage to the seatpost and holds 3 tire levers, 2 Co2 canisters, mobile phone, tools and patches. Spare tube goes in the jersey pocket with cash and the housekeys.

My Best Bike
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    bottle cage and cut off bottle, or you can buy a proper bottle with a screw top from ultimate pursuits. 2 bottle cages are the minimum, you can also fit the profile design aquarack to the seatpost and carry 2 more bottles if wanted. so upto 3 drink bottles, and the tools in another.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">in jersey pocket with cash and the housekeys<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">think seriously about just what you would like stabbed into your kidneys in the event of a prang<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I certainly never put my keys in my jersey pocket, they definitely go in the seatbag because I really don't want them ground into my kidneys if I come off.

On the other hand, when I was knocked off in January and got carted-off to hospital, it was just as well I had presence of mind whilst lying in the road waiting for the ambulance to ask one of the people looking after me to go in the bag and find my keys for me, because I didn't get the bike back until 3 days later and would have been locked out.

Yer takes yer choice !
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by woody-som</i>

bottle cage and cut off bottle, <b>or you can buy a proper bottle with a screw top</b> <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thats what I did with my carbon frame - it doesn't look like a 2nd bottle.

BTW whats so good about dehydration that your mates don't want to be seen with a 2nd bottle [?]

Pete
    (Not reckless, just fast)
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">On the other hand, when I was knocked off in January and got carted-off to hospital, it was just as well I had presence of mind whilst lying in the road waiting for the ambulance to ask one of the people looking after me to go in the bag and find my keys for me, because I didn't get the bike back until 3 days later and would have been locked out.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    im normally the same, but luckily when i got hit last week i had a bag on my back which had my keys, wallet and phone in so when i let the police drop my bike home i had everything i needed for my three day stay with the nurses

http://img501.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bikeim9.jpg
  • wotbus@
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by penugent</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by woody-som</i>

bottle cage and cut off bottle, <b>or you can buy a proper bottle with a screw top</b> <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thats what I did with my carbon frame - it doesn't look like a 2nd bottle.

BTW whats so good about dehydration that your mates don't want to be seen with a 2nd bottle [?]

Pete
    (Not reckless, just fast)
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Absolutely nothing. Hydrate or die. It's just that, wellllll, from some of the things I read on the forum makes me think it's, uhhh, not quite - you know, macho enough. You know, like a, errrrrr, triple or, ummmmm, the wrong colour chain or even, <font color="pink"></font id="pink">a saddle-bag....
    [:D] I was only joking Pete [:D]
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Eh - what's wrong with 2 cages - obviously your mates don't race or do some decent training runs, because if you've ever been in a race and dropped a bottle - what would they do they do next? Strap-on seat packs don't tend to rattle like clip-on ones as you can snug them up tight - also means it doesn't rub the lacquer on your carbon post. I've got a Blackburn carbon mini-pump with fits next to the bottle cage as there's nowhere for it to go - it's OK as a last resort.
  • I just use a Topeak Micro Rocket (in carbon finish). It's so tiny that it would be kind to my kidneys. That a spare tube and levers in one of my rear pockets. The last time I had to use the pump, I checked my tyre when I got home - I got 60 psi out of it. Not perfect, but get's you home. It doesn't happen often (and there's always some kind club mate to loan you his full size pump [:)] )