Prescription Sunglasses

scannings
scannings Posts: 82
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Hi I'm thinking about getting a pair so that I can ride when my eyes are sore and I can't wear my contact lenses. Anyone any idea how good the Scorcher ones that are currently being advertised are. My optician tells me that as my prescription is -3.0 then I'll get distortion through all but the middle of them. I'm no expert so an advice or experience please?
Ta
Steve

At the end of the day......................................it gets dark.

Comments

• xio
    xio Posts: 212
    Rudy Project (and doubtless many others) do cycling glasses where you can add a prescription insert.
  • I have never heard of 'scorcher', however with a prescription of -3 you should be ok for most types of prescription sport glasses. I would suggest that your optician is being a little bit more than pessimistic
    Look at optilabs, rudy project, adidas, briko, oakley, bolle, smith etc.
    I'm picking up some new RP Exception (<http://www.gosportspex.com/RudyProjectExceptionPrescriptionSportsGlasses.asp>)this week, glazed to -10.5.
  • scannings
    scannings Posts: 82
    Sorry should have said that the Scorcher shades I've seen advertised are from optilabs. Thanks for the advice folks as I say I'm no expert I just know that I can't ride without either lenses or specs and that this time of year in regular specs is no good plus you always get things in your eyes without decent cycling specs in my experience!!
    Ta
    Steve

• McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    I have two sets of gigs from Optilabs and they are both excellent. My first are the high-contrast permanently dark type, the second have the reactolite lenses that darken as it gets sunnier. I think that the "Scorcher" frame looks fine. Only thing with Optilabs is that you must get your pupil separation distance right or the frame is apt to be a bit too big / small.

<font size="1">
    What do I ride? Now that's an <b><font color="black">Enigma</b></font id="black"> </font id="size1">

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • wherryman
    wherryman Posts: 77
    My prescription is worse than yours and to add insult to injury I cant wear contacts so I have some natty prescription Oakleys that have no distortion at all, they are not wrap around but do the job perfectly and with the ice blue polarised lens you cant tell the difference between them and the normal sunglasses, apart perhaps from the weight !
  • Yeah, i've got prescription oakleys too - cwires (not sure if they still do them, as they're about 6 years old now) - not really any noticeable distortion at all.

I have a bike; she's called Fran. I enjoy her company.
    I have a bike; she\'s called Fran. I enjoy her company.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I got my Gregory Pecks from Optilabs; apart from the bike, the best bit of cycling kit I ever bought. Also use them for alpine skiing and looking cool when the sun shines (so, not wearing them today!). Never had any problem with distortion, despite being warned by optilabs that they might feel a bit weird to start off with and my prescription is stronger than yours.

"Fast and Bulbous." Capt.Beefheart.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Cakegirl
    Cakegirl Posts: 66
    My prescription isn't too bad but I have a high cyl figure. I had the Briko Klip kit which has a very flat insert, this worked; however they discontinued this and the new Briko inserts are more curved. Have found this can lead to headaches and inability to see the side of the road! Optilabs thought might be a bit awkward and they were right, too much vision distortion, but Optilab's service and helpfulness was brilliant, even though they couldn't actually quite do it. I will have to think about the Oakleys....
    If everything's under control, you're obviously not going fast enough.