Which roof-mounted bike carrier?

irb10
irb10 Posts: 32
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
I'm looking to buy some roof-mounted bike carriers for my car, and was wondering if amyone has any particular recommendations of what to buy/avoid. I have Thule aerobars on my estate car and want to transport up to 4 bikes (2 adults + 2 kids).

I've always liked the quality of Thule products, so was drawn to the Thule 591 Proride and 530 Freeride products. Does anyone have any particular experience of these; is the 591 worth the extra money? I believe the 591 can be fixed to aerobars using a T-adapter, is this a good option? After initial setup, how quick are the carriers to add/remove from the car, assuming I won't leave them on all the time?

Cheers!

Comments

• Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    The 591 is the best. There is a review of carriers in this month's C+ mag.

I've had a couple of 591 for a few years. They're great. Sturdy, well thought out, very easy to use. To get 4 bikes on you alternate front-rear facing with the bikes. You can reverse the downtube grabbing arm easily.

They fit onto the aero bars well with the adaptors that come with them. It looks a whole lot slicker. Mine stay on all the time, but to get them off you just loosen the catches and slide the carrier off the bar.

And remember you can get one key for all of the locks. If you buy them from www.roofbox.co.uk they do as many locks as you need for a bit extra.

• The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    Some people just have no need for such gay fiddly contraptions. *smug* [^] [:D]
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

Some people just have no need for such gay fiddly contraptions. *smug* [^] [:D]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Why, do you have enough gay fiddly contraptions already?
  • Steve GT
    Steve GT Posts: 383
    Another thumbs up for the Thule 591's as well as roofbox.co.uk.

Crediamo in te, bici!
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.