cycle computer

inchcape
inchcape Posts: 38
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
am a beginner and want to purchase a cycle computer and would like too know the difference in set up between the two types i know one is wired but where does the wire go and how does the wireless type work.

Comments

• GeeBee44
    GeeBee44 Posts: 6
    Wired computers have the wire usually going down the front forks to the sender unit, cordless one's work the same but there's no cable.

On both models you mount the sender unit on the forks, usually mounted using a couple of cable ties, and a small magnet mounted on one of the spokes so when it passes the sender unit it send's a signal to the head unit.
  • simoncp
    simoncp Posts: 3,260
    Wireless ones are more expensive and often dodgy. Stick to a wired one. In my experience they all work well. If all you need is current speed and a few other basic functions such as a car type mileometer and tripmeter go for a cheap model.
  • JMag
    JMag Posts: 17
    Just a small addition to GeeBee's response: on my wired Cateye Astrale 8 you mount the sender on the chainstays.

The following ebay shop usually has some pretty good deals on computers. Have used them before and they are reliable sellers.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Geargurl-Cycle ... eZL2QQtZkm
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    I think that most wires are run down the front brake cable to get to the sensor on the front forks. I find wired models are more reliable than unwired, and unless you are a serious weight-weenie the weight of the wire won't be a factor you have to worry about. Do cadence sensing computers need a sensor on the rear forks these days?

<font size="1">
    What do I ride? Now that's an <b><font color="black">Enigma</b></font id="black"> </font id="size1">

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!