cable running to the front derailleur

Grindercp
Grindercp Posts: 342
edited June 2007 in Workshop
Hi,

I've just installed a new indexing system on a front triple derailleur.

I am having trouble getting the system to work properly. I've read (and done sheldon brown) but i think the problem might be that the cable runs against the top of the derailleur, when it is on the smallest ring then and isn't on the other two rings. Hence the cable doesn't pull uniformly throug and it misses the middle ring.

Has anyone experienced this before and know of a quick solution. Or is it just a question of continuing to tinker?

Regards
G

<font color="red"><center><b>Grinder is still waiting for a big lottery win.</b></center></font id="red">
<font color="red"><center><b>Grinder is still waiting for a big lottery win.</b></center></font id="red">

Comments

• maddog_2cp
    maddog_2cp Posts: 73
    I've read that twice and I still don't understand what you're on about.

<font size="1"><font color="purple">
    Drop bars are a historical accident...... discuss</font id="purple"></font id="size1">
    Drop bars are a historical accident...... discuss
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    It might help if you can get a picture.
  • topcat1
    topcat1 Posts: 280
    Grinder mate, need some clues like road bike, mountain bike and which way does the cable run from the levers down tube or top tube?
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    I see what you mean, the cable is changing it's angle of pull as the der lever changes it's angle.

Is it possible that you have clamped the cable incorrectly? With some mechs it is possible to fit the clamp the wrong way round. Also, make sure that the cable is routed correctly through the BB housing guide. If it comes out of the guide at the wring position/angle this could be causing the problem. I would also expect that guides are available that will orientate the cables slightly differently, could be worth a look.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.